Except for those with grandfathered unlimited data, why are you still on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Dec 8, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Why not? It works great where I need it and no complaints with them.

3. curitibagarrett macrumors member

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can ask the same for Verizon... or just about any other wireless carrier at this point.

5. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

I just see so many complaints every single day in this forum with AT&T, whether it's about coverage, customer service...whatever. Of course if the service works well for you then it doesn't apply. But this clearly shows that there are plenty of people for whom that isn't the case.

----------

I hardly see any posts here complaining about Verizon when compared to the number of threads I see complaining about AT&T.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, even though I still have unlimited data I feel that I can answer this question since I'd probably stay with AT&T even if I lost my unlimited.

Put simply, where would I go? Even when and if Sprint solves all their slow-speed problems, it doesn't seem that their correct "normal" data speed are anywhere close to AT&T's. And I've heard too many customer-service horror stories from people who had Sprint. One friend said they always over-charged him every month and he'd have to call and make them fix it. They always would, but he'd end up having to call again next month. Stuff like that. It's not that they didn't fix it...it's that they thought trying to cheat you when you weren't looking was a good normal business practice.

And Verizon is the big ol' boss at being evil. Ever since the Razr days when my cousin's Verizon Razr charged him money to do things my T-Mobile Razr could do for free (such as copy photos to a computer), I knew they were trouble. I've never seen anything to convince me otherwise since then. Yeah, Apple seems to do a pretty good job at holding them at bay, but I just can't trust them.

AT&T has sure had its problems, but they seem to mostly be technical in nature. And they seem to have overcome many of those problems. But cultures of lying and cheating and stealing...those don't change so easily. I can tolerate incompetence a LOT more than malice.

I can't really see myself leaving AT&T no matter how many calls they may drop.

There are tons and TONS more AT&T iPhones than Verizon iPhones out there. Probably has a lot to do with it.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

If it's not broke... AT&T is superb in my area. I have unlimited data on 4 lines. Even if I didn't have unlimited data I would stick with AT&T.

AT&T has improved a lot in other regions from what I hear and read.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, take a look at WHAT these people are complaining about. I see a lot of "I got busted for tethering, I got the text stating they will throttle me, etc. etc." ATT phones have been around a lot longer. People are with a company for a few years and they feel the company owes them the world. Verizon hasn't even had the phone for a year. People are still in their honeymoon phase. Give it another year or so. It will come, I promise.

----------

And this too :)

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Voice + Data.
    Better Coverage.
    GSM (ability to JB/unlock my phone and use it anywhere in the world without roaming charges).

BL.

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Honestly they are the best deal out there for me right now.

First i had Verizon and dropped them because their prices were just too high.

Sprint's coverage was just absolutely awful where i used to be, so i dropped them. next

I've been with AT&T since, never had a single problem with them. Service is great, customer service that I've experienced is awesome. I got a nice FAN discount and will continue to get discounts as i plan on starting up my u-verse account in about 4 months.

Everyone has their own reasons.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Faster data than Sprint/Verizon, simultaneous voice/data, better price than Verizon (for family plan particularly), good coverage in my area, convenient company stores, no problems with the service.

13. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

Never had a problem with AT&T, great Data speeds, awesome CS, and coverage in my area is great! I have no reason to leave. ;)

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You have this with Verizon and Sprint too. In fact, if you want unlocked for roaming, you are better off going with Sprint or Verizon.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The concept that different carriers level of service differs based on geographical location seems to be a difficult concept to grasp.

In some places, ATT bites, and in other areas it's as good as any other carrier. Same with Verizon, Sprint, etc.

(Having Verizon myself, I can assert with some certainty that Verizon Tech Support sucks no matter where you live! :(:p)

16. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I've been an AT&T customer for a few years and I've never had any issues with their customer service.

I live in Dallas which is a big AT&T market so the service is pretty good overall. It's also a test market for new technology such as LTE.

An AT&T family plan is less expensive than a Verizon one.

Roll over minutes are nice to have.

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Great customer service, and I get more bars in more places. I travel a lot with my job and I get just as good service everywhere if not better with my AT&T iPhone as I do with my verizon Droid Pro.

18. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I get ~5mbit download ~1mbit upload speed, unlimited plan.

Rarely have any drop call, I don't talk much on the phone.

I get 21% FAN discount that I don't eligible, my company only giving me 18%.

They let me get the 4s at subsidize price by adding a new line, and within the 5 min the 4s arrive my house, I put the sim in a RAZR, call CSR to drop the data and did not get charge for a single penny for data.

They waive my $36 activation fee.

They credit me back the 3000 roll over minute when I add a line.

And yesterday, I purchase two Samsung A107 phone from best buy for $4.99 each and AT&T unlock both the phone for me.

19. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

i have unlimited data, however...

hspa+ on the 4s was a big incentive to stay with at&t for the 4s... that was until i experienced next to no data speed increase switching from 4 to 4s (yes according to their coverage map i am in a saturated hspa+ area, and yes i have the 4s data plan for those who think that makes a difference), but for those getting good speeds that is a big plus at&t have for the iPhone 4s.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Hspa+. Used to suffer with T-mo's EDGE data before.

21. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

De La Vega is holding my familly hostage, he has said if I dont use their network and like it he wont let them go. Darn you De La Vega!

No really its the unlimited, I just felt left out of the thread... Sorry...

22. jyatch macrumors newbie

23. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Because it's what the iPhone was truly made for, originally designed to be it. HSPA+, Voice + Data. Verizon and Sprint were after thoughts.

24. yamatitan macrumors member

I have never dropped a call with them, mostly have 3-4mbps internet connection except for maybe twice a year when im out in the woods. Plus their prices are competitive and customer service has always been good we needed.

25. JustLeft macrumors 6502

For me it's rollover minutes, A List, free mobile to mobile (any carrier), ability to use voice and data at the same time, and their data speeds. When I priced verizon it was much more expensive. I had to buy a higher plan to get the equivalent of Alist and mobile to mobile was verizon only. Further, I tried verizon for 3 months and just cancelled them. I found their call quality to be similar to AT&T, their data speeds to be poor, and the hopping between 3G and 1xrtt annoying. I was not using an LTE phone but coworkers were and they were constantly going between LTE and 3G.

The number of dropped calls I have gotten on AT&T have dropped dramatically. Not sure why that is, but it has improved much for me.