Excerpts from Trump's speech to Congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Sounds like he's trying too hard to be Christian. And invoke some kind of I have a dream speech.

Also he will get NAILED for saying the time for trivial fights is behind us. Because no doubt he'll start something on twitter tonight/tomorrow when his speech is reviewed. That quote will haunt him.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

More drivel. Trump's whole campaign and first month in office has been about fear and doom and gloom. Now he's doing a 180 and we need to be hopeful and aspiration. LMAO.

[​IMG]

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Looks good to me. No fancy words and empty promises like the last 8 years.

Simple is good. ;)

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

You mean like the immigration legalization Trump now says he supports? I wonder what all his supporters think about that. Talk about bait and switch.

6. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I'd ask if you were joking, but...
    ...pretty much answers that for me.

Wow. :rolleyes:

7. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Your wow got Donnie in the WH. Thanks for making our choice easy.

8. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Love to know how my Wow accomplished that.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Summary from my pov: Better than his dystopian inaugural but sounds like typical SOTU happy talk... and some of it of course ticked me off since I'm of the opposition party. In that respect it was not much worse than a speech by GWBush or Reagan...

To his credit, the speech was an attempt by Trump (or his speechwriters) not to bash people who didn't vote for him, which I do appreciate. He sounded a little subdued at the end, like he didn't have as much fun ad libbing as he usually does. And thank god for that I have to say.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Amen!

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So, as a detractor of Trump's, I have to say I liked a lot of this speech. It was much more positive forward looking and less dystopian like I have always wanted him to be. However, three things come to mind:

1. I heard calls for increased funding to vets, to the military, to healthcare accounts, to school choice, to paid family leave, to infrastructure and probably other things I am forgetting at the moment. What I did not hear, is a way to pay for all of these things. If a Democrat had proposed these things, would Republicans had been so quick to stand for every single one??

2. How does he plan on reviving dead industries? Will he be bringing back buggy whip manufacturers? :D

3. I didn't really care for the pointing at democrats when saying that the time for trivial fights is over when he is the source of many of them himself, starting with the whole birther nonsense that he carried on for years. Similarly the usual comments on American steel (when he used Chinese on his own projects) and making things here (when he makes them elsewhere). So hypocritical.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    As he was leaving the room I heard one Republican say it was "the best speech I ever heard" and another one say "very Reaganesqe." I threw up a little in my mouth. This speech was probably the best that Trump has given, but not the best ever, and certainly fell short of Reagan's.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So you are against it?

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, can we swap him out for whoever wrote the speech? :D

Upgrade time!

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think this was the best Trump speech I've ever heard, at least in the 45min or so that I watched. It was positive, upbeat, and didn't come off as particuarly combative against Trumps enemies (media, Democrats, etc). He was very balanced in the criticisms he did provide. He also didn't focus on touting his personal accomplishments, thank god. I dare say he almost seemed a little Presidential up there. It would have been nice to hear more about financial plans, but I don't think they wanted to bring up that controversy.

I was a little disappointed to see some of the Democrats not applauding some of the non-partisan issues. It made them look a little bitter and concerns me.

Let's hope Trump doesn't ruin this good moment at 3AM on Twitter. His speech is one thing, but actually making these changes will be another.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I listened to part of it on the radio on the way home. I could have done without the applause after each sentence. What are Congress and Senate doing to push any agenda?

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It was a kind of marker thrown down to both the Dems and to the GOP: Trump''s basically saying that he's done vamping, so let's do the legislating already. The thing is, you're right, the Republicans don't want to pay for half the stuff on his laundry list that sounded so nice. For instance, they spent the dough in Iraq (one "emergency appropriation" at a time) because that's what they do best, and later for "infrastructure bills". Also, they just spent eight years saying NO. I am not sure what that does to their ability to front, even to read thoroughly the bills they're actually interested in passing. They know they can now pass anything in the House; my question is whether they're used to thinking through the stuff any more. How hard is it to say NO to a lobbyist whose careful fine print escapes attention from conservatives during markup sessions? Maybe harder than they expect. Like Trump, they need to know what they're signing off on.

As far as Trump criticizing the Dems tonight in the speech, whenever there is a transition of power to the other party, that first speech that's in lieu of a regular SOTU always has negative remarks about the terrible state in which the other party had left the nation, so I always just overlook that stuff. They're always old news anyway, having been campaign fodder. The weird thing is that they bother to include them at all in those maiden speeches as president: usually during the campaigns those sets of remarks have been fact-checked over and over again, and the closer they are to claiming the other party has created a complete disaster, the more likely they checked out to "pants on fire" stretches of the truth.

My concern about "bringing back" jobs to coal country and especiallly jobs like making steel pipe: how can he say he will do that and also say that all Americans value clean air and clean water?

It's clear the GOP means to gut the EPA's rules wherever possible (even if I think that freshman Congressman's one-line bill to actually eliminate the agency is bogus and will die in committee), but you can't gut the regulations that govern clean air and clean water and go back to polluting at will and still say you understand Americans want clean air and water.

Also, gutting "extraneous" or "onerous" regulations suggests to me that the GOP intends to get rid of health and safety regulations insofar as there's no public outcry.

So manufacturing processes that use toxic chemicals and they must be transported somehow... and they will be on trains and planes as new or more frequent cargo, and it's up to the public to somehow guess that regulations of such things will be weakened, and up to us to phone Congress to say don't let Transportation ditch that law, or don't let Labor ditch that law? Well good luck to us with that gig. The vast majority of us don't even know who our congress critters are much less make time to communicate with them.

Anyway the speeches of this sort are all kind of pro forma. The platform, with grace notes. He did a good job reading it and it wasn't a complete put-down of half the country for once. So.. moving right along... let's see the legislation. This might be the last time we see all the GOP standing up and applauding anything this President suggests for awhile.

I was thinking some of the applause for him tonight was at least in part a kind of reward for his having taken on board some distinctively establishment picks for inside the White House lately, and possibly for mentioning with approval some legislative ideas that he might not actually favor.

Seems to me there are in fact a bunch of policy mainsails people are trying to fit the ship of state for on this voyage: the establishment, the more conservative, Trump himself and his wacko buddies there Bannon & Co. The Dems still have that filibuster in the Senate, too. The White House is a bunch of fearless novices and the rest of them are players with a lot of sailing hours. It's almost like two separate crews and even then a mix of strategists in both. There could be a lot of sailing close to the wind and a lot of sudden tacks. Mind the boom as it swings is all I can say. Pelosi will be ok with it on the Dem side of the House, but Schumer might wish he still had Reid around to count votes in the Senate. The Republicans, wow, Ryan has his work cut out to mesh the factions. Keep the memory of those smiles Ryan dished out tonight. The frowns ahead will engrave his forehead.

I should cross-stitch a wall hanging of that old saw, still my favorite motto: "Time Will Tell".

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Did he ever say ZERO immigrants? Have his supporters? I mean Jesus Christ for the millionth time, cracking down on ILLEGAL immigration doesn't mean you hate ALL immigrants and that anyone is working towards a zero immigrant policy. It doesn't make you a racist or a bigot either. Why the left keeps conflating immigration reform with=so and so hates Mexicans or we need to address illegal immigrants and the legal pathway as "bait and switch" is in part why the left keeps losing elections. It's that hyper sensitive fake outrage that 65% of people are absolutely sick and tired of.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Okay, but why aren't they sick of Trump's hypersensitive fake outrage then? Instead you hear supporters say "he's so real". LOL...yeah right.

But speaking of fake outrage...where did @Rogifan say "zero immigrants" either? You're taking the conversation a step farther than he did. Hypersensitive fake outrage indeed. :D

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

But he has the best words. As for empty promises.....

First off, he's already broken promises but beyond that, no one can claim his other promises won't be empty til after he's done being President. What can be said with a great deal of certainty is that it's impossible to stop drug use in this country. To claim otherwise is just going full retard. What is also known, is that Trump isn't helping his own cause when he has someone like Jeff Sessions as the AG who has come out against legalization. The same legalization that has shown to have a positive effect on opiate use dropping. So if the AG plans on shutting down legalization efforts, he is going to end up making the epidemic rise again in those states.

The only thing simple when it comes to Trump

[​IMG]

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I forgot that doozy. Even if he were to somehow stop all illegal drugs from entering the country that doesn't mean they couldn't be made here or that people wouldn't abuse legal drugs.

Anyone that thinks something can be stopped completely didn't pay much attention to the failure of prohibition and the 18th amendment.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

But hey, why should I expect Trump to know anything about history? He doesn't seem to know much about a lot of things. Like who knew healthcare was complicated? :rolleyes:

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Tobacco, Alcohol, Prescription meds are the top 3 most abused drugs.

24. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

It was a good speech. You blind party loyalists would hate ANYTHING he says.

Trump hypothetical statement: "I think murder is wrong."

Some of you folks: "What an idiot! Can you believe he has the nerve to call some people murderers who may have just accidentally killed someone, unintentionally, without ill will, and they are getting called murderers?!?!?! This is outrageous!"

Hahaha, settle down with your absolute, party line opposition.

How about when he said "The time for trivial fights is behind us", and then motioned his hand toward the dems? OHHHH man that was funny.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Can you, oh, I don't know...speak to any of the criticism listed above, or do you just want to avoid it?