Excessive heat and noise with 5870 in '10 quad MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by existe, Oct 23, 2010.

1. existe macrumors member

existe

I put a flashed XFX 5870 into my 2010 Quad MP and everything appears to be running fine (minus no boot screen). When I fire up WoW I notice the exhaust fans start going crazy and the CPU temps shoot up towards 120 F. Did not do this with the 5770.

I understand it is a higher end card but why is the CPU temp shooting up now? (which explains the fans). I know it is related to WoW/Gaming somehow since the system "calms" down after I shutdown WoW.

Thoughts? This normal?

Thanks

2. existe thread starter macrumors member

existe

So I did some comparison of the 5870 (non-Apple) versus the 5770 (Apple) both idle in OS X and some basic movement within WoW.

I used iStat menu 3 to look at some of the sensor data.

The biggest difference with the flashed 5870 versus the Apple 5770 is:

• "CPU A" reports about a 10-20 degrees increase playing WoW
    • "Expansion Slots Fan" runs 799rpm idle and upwards of 1155-1165rpm while playing WoW

So there is a slight increase in the CPU temperature and and introduced fan noise of the 5870. All the settings were on low for WoW and did not change, so why does it appear both the CPU and GPU are working harder when the 5870 is installed? I would expect the GPU to not work as hard since it is a more powerful version. Perhaps because it is flashed?

3. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Sounds like a bad bios. That card should have lower db than a 4870.