Excessively yellow tint on iPhone 4 camera photos... Is this a common thing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Jul 17, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Please, because I want to know if my iPhone 4 is defective.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

what is the lighting? I found the compact florescent bubs cause it. where the regular ones won't. here is what I got this should be white.
    [​IMG]

3. lionqueen macrumors 6502

If you do a search you'll see that there should be a few threads here on yellow tint in photos. People have had that problem - I don't know whether to say "a lot" of ppl, because what is a lot? So I'll just give you my own experience - my first iPhone 4, pre-ordered and came on June 23rd, had yellowish pics but not as bad as some I've seen. It had a really bad reddish discoloration all over the photos tho, so I took it back and they replaced it right away. The second phone they gave me also had yellowish photos, but again, not as bad as some, so I let it go. What I couldn't let go was a bad battery. I brought it back and they replaced it again, which is the phone I'm currently using. It has NO yellow tint whatsoever - pics are perfect IMO, and I'd be happy to share some if you want.

Some ppl have had success exchanging phones for yellow tint, others have been told "it's just the lighting" or "a software update is coming to fix it". Could you post some pics of the yellow pics?

If it were me I'd make a genius appt and try to get it exchanged, if it's bad.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

with me it is the lighting. take pics where there are no cf bulbs and they come out fine. the thing is you see the yellow before you take a picture. once I realized that.

5. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

I have yellow when taking pics or video. I compared it to display models at AT&T and they were not affected. The thing is that its not immediately noticeable. Perhaps my phone is not that terribly affected either. I would like an exchange but what if I get a worse one? Not sure if its worth that risk.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The camera fitted to the iPhone is a pretty simple affair. Even though excellent results can be obtained in the right hands, it is not designed for "serious" photography. Consequently, it has it's limitations.

One of these limitations is the fact that it is balanced to give best results in relatively bright daylight. This light consists of a high proportion of blue light, therefore, in order to counteract the "blueness" and render a near accurate reproduction, the camera "adds" a yellow/red bias.

However, when used in artificial lighting, much of which contains a large proportion of yellow light, the camera simply adds even more yellow to the image which obviously results in a yellow cast. This effect is even more accentuated in low lighting conditions, resulting in an underexposed and "grainy" photograph.

These effects can, to a large extent be avoided or corrected by either using flash indoors or by using software such as Photoshop to correct the image after the photo has been taken.

7. lionqueen macrumors 6502

^ I think most of us understand that, but it doesn't explain why some phones take photos with a very strong yellow cast, and some take photos with no cast at all. I'm talking about the same shot, same angle, same lighting. The phone I have now is perfect, no yellow cast, whereas the last two I had took yellow pictures. To me it's quite obvious that some phones are "off" and others aren't.

8. chuckpenz macrumors newbie