Exchange 4S black for white?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walds11, Oct 28, 2011.

1. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I reserved an iPhone 4S 16GB black on Saturday night at 9:00pm for pick-up at the Apple store on Sunday. I picked the 4S black up on Sunday. I was leaning towards white, but white was not available on Saturday night. Anyway, what are my options if I want white? Can I go to the Apple store and exchange black for white? My line is not eligible for a full upgrade until 2/2012, so I used my wife's full upgrade eligibilty to get the 4S. I did the upgrade swap, so that will complicate things and it's definitely not going to be cut and dry if I want to do this. I know that I can return my iPhone within 30 days of purchase for a full refund with no restocking fee. Return and get white?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you want to, go ahead.

Thanks for asking for my opinion.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Yes.

Not having to clean fingerprints 100x a day off my white 4S (like I used to have to do with the black) makes it near absolute perfection! :D

Now if only they could fix the ****ing battery life! :mad:

4. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Return and get white?" Duh, yeah, but what is the easiest way to do it?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Search, asked like twice/day

6. wellok macrumors 6502

How would it not be cut and dry? Call Apple store, tell them you need to reserve a white one to swap if the website won't let you do it again, go in and swap.

7. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The website will let me reserve again, but at the full price. It's just reserving it, so hopefully they can do the exchange at the upgrade price. I had to activate the 4S on my wife's line and then we swapped iPhones and SIM cards. I gave my wife my 4. Even though I reserved an iPhone, I had to wait in stinking line for almost 2 hours. I don't want to go through that again. Can I make a reservation with the Apple Genius Bar and do the exchange?

8. wellok macrumors 6502

9. CC424 macrumors regular

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

White is defiantly the best choice is you suffer from OCD lack of finger prints and smudges is a win for me . :D

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

lmao

return it for a white OP. go with what you want.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Definitely call, you could run into problems if they can't treat this as an "exchange" - if you end up having to return the black and buy the white, you probably won't be able to do that on the same day. Resetting your upgrade eligibility through your carrier might take a few days.

13. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will call this morning. It could be a real hassle if they can't do a simple, even exchange.

What if I make an appointment at the Genius bar and tell them that my black iPhone is defective or something? Would they exchange black for white subject to availability?

14. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Fixed it for you!!

I don't understand how people buy what they don't want.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Before you do make sure you read the thread about the flash not working well in white iPhones:rolleyes:

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The Apple Store cannot replace a defective black phone with a white phone. They are two different part numbers. You will have to return your phone and wait for your upgrade eligibility to be restored (can take a week or more, but you might be able to expedite it if you call AT&T customer service...Apple can do nothing about it) before buying a white one.

17. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What if the black iPhone is not defective and I just want to do an easy exchange for white? Is that possible? From what you said, an easy exchange at the Apple store is not possible. Darn!

18. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called the Apple store. I can return my black iPhone and buy a white iPhone subject to availability. Since I swapped upgrades with my wife and gave her my 4, I would need swap sims back out before I return the black iPhone. The person did not mention anything about waiting for my upgrade eligibility to be restored before buying the white one.

19. Oofie macrumors regular

I went back to the apple store the next day I got my phone to exchange my white 32gb for a black 16gb. I had to reserve what i wanted the night before and stood in line again. Once someone was helping me, all the guy did was return my white 32gb, then get a new black 16gb. There was no waiting for upgrade eligibility or anything like that. This was with an AT&T account also.

20. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's good to hear. Only hassle will be checking for 16GB white availability each night and waiting in line again :)

21. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reserved one last night for pick-up today:) My wife has the SIM in her 4 from the black 4S since we did the upgrade swap (and I have the SIM from the 4). Do I need to return that SIM with the black 4S? My wife is out all day, so I will not be able to get that SIM from her. What will happen when I go to the Apple store this morning to return the black 4S and purchase the white 4S? Will Apple deactivate my wife's SIM since that is the original SIM that came with the black 4S? If so, I am screwed as I will only have one good SIM and would have to go to AT&T to get another one. Can I take SIM out of my black 4S, use it in new white 4S and give my wife SIM from white 4S? I am trying to do this exchange as seamless as possible. Or am I making a bigger deal out of this than it's supposed to be?

22. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

You know the fingerprints are still there, right?

23. thaghost macrumors 6502

24. iSayuSay, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Better make myself a new thread .. sorry .. wrong post :)

25. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Go to the apple store and look at the white display models you will find your answer there