Exchange 6 Plus for a 6 AFTER 15 Days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mahler12x, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Mahler12x

So, I helped my mother-in-law pick out her iPhone, a 6 Plus, after she'd originally thought she'd wanted a 6. This was on the 20th. Well, after a couple weeks with it, she likes the large screen while she's around the house, but doesn't like using generally while out or at work. In short, she finally admitted to me she kinda wished she'd just gotten a 6. So, I feel responsible for nudging her to something she's not ultimately happy with.

She got it subsidized via AT&T and yes, it's past the 15 day return window. What options does she have?

2. Cojm macrumors member

None, Apple cannot take the phone back and ATT has a 14 day return window, unless its 30.... call ATT.

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'd call AT&T.

If your MIL is old enough, they might take pity. In fact, I'd just stop by and let her make sad eyes at the manager.

4. Mahler12x thread starter macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Nah, she's not that old. So there's not even an option to buy out the phone, unlock it, then sell it when you're in a subsidized plan? I'm with TMobile so I'm not sure how AT&T does it.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Certainly worthwhile to try for an exception from Apple and/or AT&T but I wouldn't hold your breath. Try ASAP though, every hour you wait probably decreases any chance you have. IMHO in-store is more likely to succeed than over the phone (just my opinion, I may be wrong).

If that doesn't work, then your option is to sell the 6+ as used (Gazella, Swappa, Craigslist, etc) and buy a 6 either new/no-contract or used from a trustworthy source (i.e. don't get scammed by someone who bought it on Next and will quit making payments). If you bought it on Next you should be able to pay it off and then get another phone on Next, unlock the 6+ and then sell it for more. May take a bit of time for all the pieces to work through. Don't think you can do that with a contract subsidy phone though without cancelling the account and losing the phone number.

6. Mahler12x thread starter macrumors regular

Mahler12x

She got it from an Apple Store though. Would it matter?

7. Cojm macrumors member

Nope, Apple is constrained by the contracted return date by the carrier, Apple typically has a lax return policy, but with phones on contract it gets messy, you may be able to do an exchange, device for device, but Im not 100% sure.

8. Mahler12x thread starter macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Wow, this is complicated. Im sure we're not the only ones in this position. Even if I were to buy it off her (I'm still looking to get one for myself and my wife) and she used the cash to buy a phone outright, would I be able to even get the original phone unlocked so I could use it? Probably not right?

9. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I bought 2 additional iPhone 6's sim-free (off contract) from the Apple Store. Turned up on the second Friday after picking it up two Friday's earlier (on release day) to return the phones. The guy scanned my receipt and said it's apparently passed the 14 days, but he went and spoke to his manager and he got the authorisation to process the return, thankfully.

I almost had a heart attack as I wouldn't of had been able to get back over £1200. But yeh, it seems like Apple are pretty lax in terms of return periods, if you're over by a day (or maybe 2). But as you're on contract, it could be a bit more messy, seeing as your network provider are also involved.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like others have said, if you are outside the return window it is a crap shoot. But you are better off trying it as soon as possible. Good luck.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Hmm... nope. AT&T won't help you if it was purchased at Apple.

I'd try my hand at returning it to Apple. They might be able to work you an arrangement of some sort as long as it isn't tied to the actual upgrade.

The other option is to sell that baby. The 6+ is in high demand. Sell phone, go buy MIL a 6.

12. Mahler12x thread starter macrumors regular

Mahler12x

Well, I'll advise her to get in there today then. It's been 18 days. Yikes. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

----------

Problem is the buyer would want it unlocked most likely. I mean, I'd buy it from her for myself, but I'm on TMobile.

13. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Hopefully, you can return it but if not, it shouldn't be that hard to sell it. Those 6 Plus's are a hot commodity right now.

14. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Honestly, I would take it in immediately and try my luck. Maybe they'll feel sympathy towards her and exchange it. Talk to the manager though. Don't waste your time with regular so called geniuses. Good luck.

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

pay ETF for it and sell it for like $1200 and buy a 6

16. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

You can use that phone on TMobile.