Exchange 64GB Space Gray for 32GB Gold?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbachandouris, Oct 18, 2013.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My local store has 32GB Gold in stock. I barely use 21GB on my 64GB.

Plan is to exchange for 32GB and Apple Care+. Purchased on the 23rd. Wasn't return policy 30 days?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It depends on your carrier and how their upgrade policy works.

With AT&T you get 30 days to reverse your upgrade, but I think Verizon is 14 days (not 100% sure).

3. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I have AT&T.

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

at&t

At&t is 14 days to reverse. I just tried it a few weeks ago, had to do it by Friday the 4th (if bought on the first day of availability) if trying to upgrade, exchange or return.

5. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Did you buy it from AT&T or from Apple? If from Apple, you have 30 days to exchange it (with Apple, of course)

6. D3TSURA macrumors member

There was someone that posted a few days ago that they were able to do an exchange after 14 days on AT&T. I think that if you purchased from Apple AT&T might be more willing to do the switch since Apple has a 30 day return policy on the iPhone.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not about the returns

This isn't about the return, apple will let one return or exchange anything for the full 30 days. BUT, with one's carrier, AT&T in this case, they only give the "new sub", which is what a qualified upgrade looks like, with 2 yr contract extension, 14 days to reverse the contract extension, or qualified upgrade. After that, Apple will return you phone NQA, and refund what you paid NQA, but if you want to upgrade to a different device, you're not going to show up with a qualified upgrade. One can always pay full price, no qualified upgrade required at that point - but that sort of defeats the purpose.

8. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

If you bought it at your local Apple Store you have 30 days . Don't worry about AT&T . I exchanged my phone few days ago after the 30 days and didn't have any hiccups . I exchanged my wife's iphone from a 32GB to 16 GB gold yesterday . Instead of wasting your time writing this post you should of gone to the Apple store before it's gone ! Good luck

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I just want to say

I just want to say, buyer beware because this is not correct and apple can and most likely will enforce the 14 day (or whatever your carrier dictates) cap on returns to either reset your eligibility or allow an upgrade. It's not up the APPLE, its up to your carrier..

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/09/10/can-return-iphone-5-iphone-5s/

http://store.apple.com/us/help/iphone

10. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Let the buyer find out on his own . He or she has nothing to lose . I walked out of Apple twice as a happy camper . ( past the 14th days) it didn't jeopardized my upgrade or nothing longest it was an exchange . Now if the buyer wants to return the phone after the 14 days now that's a different story .

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

exchange or upgrade

I'm only talking about exchanges or upgrades (to a different color or size) all have the same stipulations.. a return, of course gets one all their money back at anytime inside the 30 day apple window - but will not reset the carrier upgrade eligibility.

Again, if you buy full price unlocked, this is not an issue. But, most people are not doing that..

If you've had some luck not having the rule enforced, that is great. The majority have not had such luck or chance, and fall within the rules and requirements that both apple and the carriers establish and enforce.

12. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I see . Well , I guess I got lucky. Let us know how it goes .

13. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I don't think it is worth the effort, it is just a phone and going through all that trouble just to get the same thing is rediculous but to each their own.

14. D3TSURA macrumors member

I believe that Apple actually does have some control over the upgrade and termination date. The reason why I say this is because I purchased the 5s on launch day and wanted to swap it for a different model except I wanted to get it at Best Buy.

I went to Apple and returned the 5s and the upgrade eligibility date was switched to that date. I then went to Best Buy but they were not able to use the upgrade because I had added a line and switched the 5s to my main line and I put a previously owned MiFi on the new line. I wound up calling Verizon to cancel the line but they told me that they had to call Apple because Apple had changed the upgrade eligibility date but not the early termination date so Verizon needed Apple to change that date as well in order to be able to cancel that line. Once they did this I just went through the process of adding another line and swapping devices around again.

15. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

AT&T said 14 days.

And yes, I agree with the previous poster: its not worth the hassle. I'll just stick with what I have.

Thanks for the feedback.