Exchange locked iPhone at Apple Store for factory unlocked iPhone in China for free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dannysiu, Oct 18, 2010.

1. dannysiu macrumors newbie

According to this post from a iPhone forum based in China. Apparently there are people who bought a locked iPhone 4 from the US managed to exchange it free of charge for a factory unlocked iPhone at Apple Store in China on alleged claim of signal issues. The Apple Store staff had no option other than agree on his request, since the country's law expressly prohibit locking a phone to a particular carrier.

2. ihonda macrumors 68000

very untrue. there is a little sign at apple that has a statement saying you must exchange the phone in the country it was purchased in (at least the apple stores by me have this sign)

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Actually that changed a few months ago. You can now exchange your iPhone anywhere in the world. But when you do you'll get one that's the same as the one you bought (locked or unlocked).

4. kiantech macrumors regular

does this mean I would have to fly to china, go to an apple store there, and convince them to give me a new one...

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Pretty sure that an update to iOS could re-lock the phone (or at the least, a carrier update).

6. dannysiu thread starter macrumors newbie

Because the exchanged handset was given in a country whose law expressly prohibit locking, Apple is not in a position to lock it.

7. seifer333 macrumors member

i thought apple warranty is not worldwide? can't they check the iphone is purchased in a different country?

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

no