Exchange my 32gb for a 64gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JajoPGH, Sep 21, 2012.

1. JajoPGH macrumors regular

I was previously on a 16gb iPhone 4.

I thought the 32gb would do me well, bought it, but now want more space.

Has anyone had success returning their opened phone for one with more space?

2. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

1-800-676-2775

3. iMichael! macrumors regular

Swap a $299.00 phone for a $399.00 phone.

Are you new to money?

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm sure there are tons of people who have done this, considering the phone's been on sale for... 1440 minutes.

5. IamFaustus macrumors member

I was planning on getting the white 32G iPhone 5 today but they ran out after they told me they had one. I disappointingly said i would get a black one. The apple sales guys said I could exchange it for a white one and even upgrade to the 64G within 30 days.

6. six.four macrumors 6502

If you bought a 32gb iPhone 5, and it's new in box, unopened, you can exchange the phone + pay the difference.

If it's opened, I don't think you can.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

It depends on where you purchased, how you would do an exchange for a different capacity / color of the iPhone 5. If you purchased at an Apple retail store you will have the easiest return / exchange process.

Best answer is to return it to the point of purchase, Apple, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint allow you to do a return / exchange within 14-30 days.

Note: Some will charge you an restocking fee of as much as $35

Dave

8. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

If you bought it from Apple then I don't think it would be a problem. I am not sure how it would work if you ordered from your carrier.

9. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

I pre-ordered through Apple, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Maybe I should wait at least a week until the lines and demand subside a bit.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well the offical Apple policy indicates that you need to return a mail ordered unit via mail.

Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store. from this page:

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

However check with your local Apple store to see if they will allow you to return "in-store". I would not wait but check now since you only have 30 days for a return / exchange.

Dave

11. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for that information.

I figured the online store and retail store were one and the same. I've bought an iPad online, and returned it in store.

I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

12. emaja macrumors 68000

That may be the official policy, but I have swapped out iPads before that were preordered from Apple online. The store had no problem doing it. In fact, I was going to swap my black 16GB for a 32GB and the store would have done it, but the only models they had left were the 16GB.

13. imazu macrumors regular

that's what I know as well, but I called my Apple Store earlier to verify if I can return an online order to the store & buy it back with no contract at the same time and he actually said yes that they'll be able to do it. i'll find out tomorrow if it will really happen.