Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnni

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi. When the iPhone deletes itself after 10 unsuccessful passcode attempts (and all the lockdowns), I'm certain that recovery is not possible.

But when a security policy by an exchange server certificate is envoked (delete phone after 8 wrong passcodes), isn't the same implementation used?

This happened to a friend and the passcode stayed the same after the phone was erased. I suspected when the encryption key is removed (like with the normal secure erase) the passcode should be generated as new.

Does this mean the implementation is different? Is any data recovery attempt remotely feasable?

Or is somehow a new encryption key with the same passcode generated?

I suspect data recovery is not possible but I'm confused about the same passcode.

Thank you

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Exchange based wipe can be setup to only erase enterprise/Exchange related data and apps. Eg. Person works at a BYOD company, quits company, MDM pulls employee's access and all company files/mail/apps, yet keeps rest of phone intact. Believe Apple's MDM has that function and guessing Exchange piggybacks on it.

If there was a complete erase, would see the initial "Welcome" screen to setup the phone, not user's lockscreen.

mnni

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi. Thank you, it appeared everything was erased from the phone. All files, personal photos and apps, not just company email. But there was no welcome screen and the pin code stayed the same.

The erase was triggered because a server specific wrong passcode counter was triggered.

Just for clarification: are these exchange security policies pulled by the phone when you install the certificate? Or are explicitly set up with an apple management console...?

Thank you

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Sorry, have not done an actual MDM deploy for Exchange, but, can see someone messing up and or being over zealous with what gets wiped (and maybe not over zealous due to what the job was).

Lesson learned: don't use a company asset for personal purposes. And or make a backup of one's pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.