Exchanged T-Mobile Contract-Free/Unlocked for the Sim-Free Factory Unlocked.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was wondering if anyone has exchanged their T-Mobile Contract-Free Unlocked 6/6+ for the Sim-Free version? I was able to do the exchange flawlessly at Apple today. The first store I went to sold the only single Sim Free Gold 64GB version once I arrived. Luckily, upon suggestion of the Apple guy, he suggested to secure the purchase online and pick it up it-store at another nearby Apple Store, which I did.

I was told by both stores that the Sim-Free is better of the two because of the additional bands. How do these additional bands benefit me? Would these extra bands benefit me internationally?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You did the exchange when you had no idea how, if any, it'd benefit you?

3. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

The model that you purchased has more LTE bands (TD-LTE), and if you travel to China or Japan you'd be able to get LTE versus 3G with the T-Mobile model. The resale value should be higher as well.

4. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I knew it had more bands, but what I didn't know was how these extra bands would benefit me, but I do now.

----------

Perfect! Thank you! I had 2 more days and I did contemplate for a moment on returning my T-Mobile 6+, but now, I'm glad I did.

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

6. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

My work has sent me to Narita, Japan for work, but not recently. It's good to have this added feature than not. I figured, if I'm allowed an exchange by Apple, then why not do it? They didn't even question why I was making the exchange. They did offer the information that it was a better phone due to the extra bands and made the exchange.

7. Electroni macrumors newbie

Besides the extra bands, this model can also be activated with Sprint (previously only units sold as Sprint specific SKUs were eligible for activation on Sprint).

8. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Apple released a phone with more features in my opinion so why not take advantage of it if you're within the return period? Maybe in a year you'll travel to China and need LTE service lol. I would have done the same thing honestly.

9. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Wow! Will it work for Verizon too? So basically, it covers all CDMA and GSM networks here in the U.S.

----------

I'm so glad I did the exchange. Previous threads claimed both Sim-Free and Contract-Free were virtually the same phone, until someone posted about those extra bands. That's what motivated me.

10. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

It will work on Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T so all carriers are covered!

11. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

You were able to do it??? I want to do it!

But I highly doubt that's normal. Or doable in most cases but I really need my thread back.

We got straight punk'd this year.

I guess those who waited it was definitely worth it this time.

Am I ticked off? A little. Do I really care. Not now. I changed my mind. Of course I wanted the TRUE unlocked but now it's too late. I got my 6 and I like it but the 6s will be better and we all know it.

12. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Yeah, I remember those threads. They were pretty funny. Both sides thought they were right.

13. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

I WAS right. As always.

14. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Your release dates were wrong though!!!

15. Electroni macrumors newbie

The "officially" sim-free model is basically the Sprint variant of the iPhone except that it's unlocked. It supports all the bands that the att/vzw/tmo variant supports plus the Sprint "Spark" LTE band and a few other LTE bands used overseas. It can be activated on any one of the major US networks (although you'd need to get a SIM card from the network of your choice yourself since it doesn't come with one out of the box).

16. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

That's on Apple. They were WAY late. Hey how about you congratulate me like I deserve.

I love saying I told ya so.

They need to make a thread dedicated to me!

17. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

I never commented about it, just read the threads, so I won't be congratulating you. I thought the threads were funny though. But, yeah, you kind of got the last laugh.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How can they be way late when they NEVER released a date?

19. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

WAIT!? Sprint variant? Is the Sim-Free iPhone GSM supporting CDMA or is it CDMA supporting GSM? GSM or CDMA?

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Except you allowed your iPhone 6 to get stolen...

21. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Do you know if this Sim-Free version is GSM or CDMA?

22. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

23. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

And got another one a couple hours later...

Seriously my insurance was like the SWAT team

That ain't no excuse. It was supposed to come out in November!

24. Electroni macrumors newbie

It does both.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There have been reports that all other unlocked phones (even AT&T's phone) would work on Verizon anyway (6 or 6 plus of course). People are saying, though, that one must already have an account with Verizon. They won't start a new account with that phone, for whatever reason. I imagine all of this would apply to your phone too.

What I don't undesrtand is why Apple doesn't just sell ONE iPhone model and then attach a carrier to it when it is purchased. Must be carrier agreements. Can't really think of anything else. Would make it a whole lot easier, as a customer, to tell them I want a 6 plus 64gb in silver and THEN have them ask me about carrier info/upgrades/loans etc.