Exchanging 6s+ for 6s AT APPLE, Purchased with (new) AT&T NEXT from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by U4icLab, Sep 27, 2015.

1. U4icLab macrumors regular

Good morning! I pre-ordered/received/activated my iPhone 6s+ that I purchased from Apple with a new NEXT plan. (Fantastic phone, but I'm considering down-sizing to the regular 6s). Ideally, I'd like to be able to reserve and exchange for a 6s, however the monthly payment would then be modified and I would be owed a little bit of money from the tax paid on the more expensive 6s+. Apple support said they handle only the retail side, and that despite purchasing from Apple, that I would need to carry out this exchange at AT&T?

Anyone have this specific experience? I've searched the threads but most seem to have concrete info on upgrading next plans, not exchanges at Apple w/ NEXT.

Thanks for any thoughts/help! I'm trying to make it as painless a process and not be without a phone during any possible resets of upgrade stuff, etc. I'll contact AT&T but I'd like to start here :)

2. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Bump. I'm also curious about this. Anyone have any first hand experience with exchanging an iPhone purchased from Apple with the AT&T Next Payment plan?

3. nox5 macrumors 6502

Return 6s+ For full refund and make new order for 6s

4. zjazz macrumors 6502

5. youngsunnz macrumors regular

Its possible. I recently returned my 16gb iPhone 6s Plus for a iPhone 6s Plus 64gb. It took about 2 hours since AT&T has to return the phone on their end and prequalify you for the Next program. I think the best way for them to do it is for the Apple Rep to return it fully and then have you repurchase it from AT&T. My wife was also with AT&T so they can hurry up the process.

6. Bcct63 macrumors newbie

I just did this at an Apple Store. I preordered and received the 6s plus on AT&T Next. I decided it was too big for me so I took the phone back to our local Apple Store and exchanged it for a 6s. The rep processed the exchange by doing a return on the 6s plus and a new purchase of the 6s. No issue with using Next for the new phone (eligibility must have been immediately reset). Took about 10 minutes in total.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You will have to return the phone, get your money back and AT&T Next eligibility reset (shouldn't take that long but I'd check your AT&T account just to make sure), then re-purchase the phone you actually wanted. Good luck. I know my Apple store in my city actually has full stock of all the 6S models, 6S Plus is the only models that is scarce.

8. smarks90 macrumors regular

I just did this yesterday-got 128 gb 6s+ on launch day, opted to downsize to standard 6s (for several reasons). reserved my desired 6s the morning off, into the Apple Store at the time of my appointment, returned 6s+ purchased 6s and was out in 10 minutes. very easy!

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be proceeding with the exchange later today.

While looking into this, I did learn from Apple that if your iPhone was shipped to you, and you received it on launch day, 9/25/15, you have until this Thursday, 10/8, to do a return or exchanged.

10. sam2428 macrumors 6502

I want to piggy back off the original question. I am going the other way around, I pre-ordered a 6S and am now wanting to go to a Plus instead. I have one reserved and will have them return and repurchase the Plus.

For those who did this, do they backup and restore your phone in the store?

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple does not do in-store backups and restores on their computers, if that's what you mean. You should do and iCloud backup before you go, and you can use their wifi to do an iCloud restore while you're still in the store, if you want.