Exchanging black for white (any problems?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dndandrea, Sep 28, 2012.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

So i've been using my black iPhone 5 since friday morning when i got the thing shipped to me. I'd like to exchange it for white but i want to make sure i wont run into any problems before i drive out to the apple store since it isn't close to me. My iPhone 5 is in perfect shape no problems whatsoever, i've been using it for 7 days which means it hasn't been sitting in the box.

I was told by apple employees online and over the phone that I can return my online order into an Apple store within 30 days with no questions asked. So if i told them my reason was to exchange for a different color even though i'm technically satisfied with the product would they accept my return? Or are returns only accepted if you have technical problems with the phone? I know they wont have any white in stock so my plan would be to return it for cash then come back later and buy a white one from them or another reseller around my house.

If you're going to reply "omg who cares about color grow up" or "insert first world problem joke" please don't bother replying. I just want to know if people have had problems with this or got hassled when they tried to exchange it.

Any chance they'd let me open up the white iphone before the deal is made? Incase the white one is dinged up i can keep my black one or is the deal over with?

edit: btw i don't want the silly refurbished products with no box.

2. thaghost macrumors 6502

Here in the Chicagoland area, I was told by the Apple store and retailers that they are only accepting exchanges for a different model. So if you were going from a 16gb to 32gb you could. But to exchange for a different color, they would not do. Doesn't make sense to me, but ah well.

3. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Yeah, they might not do an exchange but they will refund. Just say you are not satisfied with the product and would like to return it. Once you have your money back, just ask them for a white iPhone. They might not be all too happy but who cares.

4. Ctguy macrumors member

Yesterday I went to local apple store to exchange my black phone for the white one, they said it's not in stock. So looks like the best way to exchange fo the white one is just return it and order again.

You have 30 days to return.

5. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

If you have an issue with your phone (cosmetic or battery) they will. They offered it to me yesterday as a matter of fact

6. wiivile macrumors regular

Just wondering... why you switching from black to white?

7. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Has anyone reserved any yet? I'm wondering how this might work if they get shipments in daily. Could i just return mine today for $$$ then go home and reserve one tonight and pick up tomorrow? How do reserves work? I'd assume they don't get enough to fill everyones reservation so it'll leak over to the next day? Or if i order it at 10:01 when reservations open i'm almost guaranteed to be the first in line next day?

I had a black iphone 4 and i'd like to switch it up. Plus smudges & scratches are harder to see on white.

8. macmisty macrumors newbie

I just did this yesterday. My black iPhone was perfectly fine out of the box (no smudges or dings whatsoever), but I just decided I prefer the white. I went to the Apple store and they asked what's wrong, I told them I wanted to wait for white, and it was no problem and they refunded all my money. Then last night I was able to reserve the white model which I am picking up today. It was all kind of a hassle because I had already set up the new phone so then I had to reactivate my old phone and now I'm going to have to activate a new phone again...but as far as Apple goes they are super nice about returns.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Apple has a 30day return policy for whatever reason. Just check and see if they have the one you want, return the black and get the white. They can't deny you.

10. thaghost macrumors 6502

haha they did to me....tried the Apple store in Oak Brook,IL and the one on Michigan Ave in Chicago.

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Did you buy from Apple?

12. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

This is my problem though. Its virtually impossible to find them in stock anymore since this new reservation thing they started. Its not a matter of getting there before others now. If someone wants an iphone they just reserve it on their own time. I cannot reserve because i already have one and im not eligible for an upgrade since i used it for this. I asked apple if they ever have any in stock and they said no, they sell immediately to the people who reserved the night before. Same with radioshack.

The Sam's club next to me has a bunch of iPhone 5s but they're for verizon and I have AT&T. Their AT&T stock is backed up supposedly.

13. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

You might have better luck trying to trade your Blk 5 for a white 5 on craigslist. Im sure there are alot of people on there looking to trade for the blk because they dont want the white........Try it, you never know;)

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I see your dilemma. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I had a hunch that there might be stock at the Apple store and there was. That was before they started the reservation system. You still have 3 weeks though. Your best bet would be to arrive at the Apple store an hour or so before they open. There will be people in the store already doing training etc so you can ask them if they have any stock. At least you can determine whether or not to wait for them to open. At some point, for your sake, hopefully within the next two weeks, their stock will exceed the reservations and you'll be able to score your white phone.

15. chdwil macrumors regular

IMHO the white model looks like a work of art. I put a slim ifrogs case on it and it really compliments it well. I wanted the black model on release day but AT&T had no 64gb models so I took the only white they had. Very glad I did.