Exchanging for diff. Size-should i have to wait for stock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionqueen, Sep 28, 2012.

1. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Ive always gone with the highest storage-my 4S was 64 gigs, but i thought-be smart, save money, so i went with 32. Now i regret it tho, and i want to exchange for a 64. I went into the Apple store the other day and told the guy i wanted to exchange for a different size, and he said I'd have to 'call in the morning to see if we have stock'. I thought they kept a seperate stash of phones for returns and exchanges? Should i try a different store or will this be the policy everywhere?

2. hollowplayer macrumors regular

They don't like u. Talk to different rep or try different store.

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

There are people with defective iPhones who can not get it replaced due to lack of stock and you want to go to the front of the line because YOU made a mistake in trying to save money?:mad:

4. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Where the **** did i say i want to go to the head of the line? I asked a question. Take a valium or something.

5. K0P Bacon macrumors member

And the bacon said...

This is from my humbled little mind and in no way, shape or form am I an apple genius or about cell phones for that matter.

If you want to upgrade the GB of your iPhone 5 they might not have any returned iPhone 5's around your area.

Out of my curiosity cause my back ordered iPhone 5 is the first phone I will ever own at this point, will trading in your iPhone cause any problems with your contract? If not then I would suggest calling the next morning and asking could you go over there and exchange a 32gb iPhone for a 64gb one. If they say no I would suggest either the following...

1. Wait it out
    2. Try a different place
    3. Delete some stuff to make room for newer stuff on your iPhone.

Not to trying to insult your intelligence by any means by upgrading that way you will be paying the difference of the iPhone I believe. Again I do not know how that works really.

6. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

They dont give you a phone someone else returned if youre exchanging-they give you a new phone. Trading in doesnt cause any probs with your contract though.

7. K0P Bacon macrumors member

well in that case

It will then as Captain Obvious (me) would say just need to know do they have any in stock for you to trade in for.

8. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Re-READ your original post!:p

9. iEs macrumors regular

iEs

Lol

10. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Re-read. Nope-nothing about wanting to go to the head of the line.

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Some have REAL defects and are waiting on another phone that is LOW in stock. Your wound is self inflicted as you got the wrong phone trying to save money. I think the one with a broken phone deserves to get theirs first!

Comprehension is not everyone's strong point:rolleyes:, so instead, have a good weekend!:cool:

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The stock of phones they have in plain boxes for exchanges are swaps for damaged phones, etc. Since you want to essentially return/rebuy a new one, yours needs to come out of the "for sale" stock. So, yes, you have to make sure they have your capacity/color in the regular stock that morning.

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Is today national prick day??

Ive seen several threads where people are simply asking a question and the responder twists the posters words and just jumps all over them.

for your info. if someone has a defect they would get theirs from a genius in a white box with phone only no accessories. this gentleman is wanting an exchange which would come out of new stock in a retail box.

so your logic of him wanting to go to the "front of the line" is flawed since it is 2 sperate lines.

14. lamenramen macrumors regular

You have 30 days to get a refund or exchange, correct?

Do you think that you can independently secure a new iPhone of your choice in the next 30 days? It is possible if you don't need a full price device and want to sign a contract. Just order a new one.

I would just keep your current phone up to 30 days. And then once you get your new Iphone 5, return your old one.

15. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I think that you should have to wait.

The surplus of phones they have is for people with broken / defective phones (they can't use their phones).

Your 32gb phone is not broken or defective, it is still perfectly functional and useable.

A customer with a non-working iPhone should be ahead of someone who simply changed their mind.

16. macmisty macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, you can only "exchange" when it is like for like. If you want the 64 then this will be treated as a return and new purchase. If you got a subsidized phone, this is kinda a pain because you have to wait for your eligibility to reset before you can buy the 64 at a subsidized price.

17. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it switched today at the downtown Apple store. Super friendly, helpful staff. A++ would shop again :)