Exchanging iPhone 6 16gb for 64gb, will upgrade be avail ASAP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, Oct 1, 2014.

1. STC, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

STC macrumors 6502a

I bought a space gray iphone 6 16gb from the Apple Retal store on Sunday of launch weekend. I used my ATT upgrade. I now want the space gray 64gb and have been looking locally for the last few days. My 14 day return is up this Sunday.

If by chance I do find a space gray this weekend, and I return my 16gb, will my upgrade eligible acct show up right away so I can buy the new phone with subsidized pricing? I've heard conflicting info about this.

2. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

if you're exchanging, dont see why you'd need to return it... they should be able to just swap the phones and you pay the difference...

if you're talking about pre ordering online, then thats a whole different issue...

if you wanna try your luck and walk in when theres stock for walk-ins, it should be easy...

3. idyll macrumors 6502

It was available for me immediately when I exchanged my Plus for a normal 6, but I am with Verizon. I think it depends on Apple / the carrier communicating the info

4. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I initially thought too, but a few Apple store employees said I need to return the phone + plan.

Ok lets hope ATT is as quick.

Anyone else w/ ATT go through this?

5. el.caudillo macrumors newbie

Don't overthink it. I exchanged instantly on ATT with no hassle whatsoever. If you can't find a phone to exchange within the 14 day window, return your current phone and your eligibility will most certainly be reset by the time you actually find a phone.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

On Monday, I went to the Apple store to get mine exchanged since they had the 6 Plus available. Because I used AT&T Next, they had to process the return put the money back on the Apple gift card, and reset my AT&T Next eligibility.

I checked my at&t account and it says that I have the Next available. But when they processed the new one, they kept getting the STI resolution. So after 5 minutes of waiting, retried and it worked.

Unfortunately, the device that I had some minor defects, pinkish tint on the bottom, very noticeable. So on tuesday, I went back to Apple store and purchased another iphone 6 plus gold Device only, to compare. The new one I got was perfect, no yellow tints, no pinkish tints. Had the blue tint (which I prefer to have). That same night, I decided to return return the one I got using AT&T Next and Apple refunded me the money. Of course they told me that my AT&T Next should be reset.

Well I checked my account Tuesday night, and it still said i'm not eligible for any upgrade or installments. I then chatted with at&t rep and they said that on their system it shows that I'm eligible. Was told to wait a couple of days.

7. petefza macrumors newbie

I exchanged a 6+ that I preordered using an upgrade that I had on another line of my account (ATT) for a 6 yesterday at the Grand Central store and had absolutely no issues. The rep walked me through the process on her little gadget and I was in and out in 20 minutes.

8. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

If you can't find one before your 14 days are up, you can return it and get the one you want when it shows as a available at the Apple Store. The question is how bad do you want the 64gb?.

9. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I'm considering something similar myself. already down to 2.5gb of free space on my 16gb and i don't do a whole lot with my phone. don't want to shell out another $100, but worried that 2 years of this will be challenging. Wondering how much of a hassle it will be to swap it out at a Verizon store. I also will have wasted the $15 I spent on the skin protector I bought. But I guess that's not the worst thing ever. Also worried about getting a phone with issues. The one I have seems to be in good shape.

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

It should be easy to do. 2 years with 16gb WILL be challenging!. I got the 64gb for the same reason. I struggled with the 16gb on my 5s. I was constantly deleting stuff to free up space. You barely owned the phone for a few days and you're already down to 2.5gb!. Doesn't leave you much room for any apps, pics or videos you might get later. 2 years is a very long time to be dealing with it. Spend the extra $100 and just don't go out a couple of times this month. You use your phone more than anything you own so definitely go for it.

11. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

$100 for 4 times the capacity seems reasonable given the long term resolution it will offer. Just the peace of mind resulting from not having to constantly monitor your free space when taking pictures/videos, etc. should make the cost worthwhile. I wish all of our electronics companies would have a dedicated chip that the OS was written to so that when I receive a 16GB phone I would have 16GB of usable space.

12. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I called the Verizon store and they said they were back ordered until November, lol. Not sure if that's true or not but he recommended I call customer service and talk with a rep there since I ordered online anyway. So I may do that over lunch. The only reason I would keep it is because we have another upgrade coming in February and I was planning on possibly buying another 6 or 6+ then and giving mine to my wife, who definitely can manage 16gb. Also, I'm planning on utilizing more cloud storage options. Paying $1/month now for the 20gb of storage. I deleted a bunch of music and I'm back up to over 4 gb. I never really listen to music on my phone so that's not a big deal. But I take your point about the 64gb and that the $100 isn't that much. Though when you start adding up all the costs taken together it's a bit higher (cases, screen protectors, upgrade fee and taxes, etc. etc.). I'll call and see what Verizon can do over the phone. If it's more pain than it's worth I'll just wait until February, or see what next September brings.

----------

agreed

13. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

No go for me. $100 more plus restocking fee of 35 plus no backup phone while new one is ordered which could take weeks. I'll wait until next year.

14. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

I returned my 6 Plus and got a 6, all done at the Apple Store (I have AT&T.) It was all done in a matter of minutes, no problems.

----------

Verizon stores charge a restocking fee if you don't like the phone? Never order through them again, Apple Store charges nothing.

15. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

i definitely won't. they used to waive not only the restocking fee but also the activation fee because of my corporate affilition. they've taken both of those away. i wonder if it's possible to do an exchange through apple. i believe that's possible, right?

----------

nevermind. i see that's not a possibility. looks like in february (or september) i'll go through apple instead.

16. nanabuuui macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue earlier this week. I had the 16 GB iPhone 6 in gold. I wanted to wait for my local stores to restock with the 64 GB model before making the transaction, but my 14-day return period was going to end on Friday.

I called Apple Support and talked to a really nice rep. She processed my return through their system so that my upgrade eligibility would immediately restored. I went to the actual Apple store to return my phone, but no luck with a new phone because of the low stock.. sooo, I'm back to my 4 for now.

During the process, I also called AT&T. They said that at most, it would take 24 hours for the change/return to reflect in the system. However, mine was done right away, soo yeahh. Good luck to you :]

17. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I did the same thing. I purchased an iPhone 6 16gb at the Apple store and then went back 3 days later and exchange it for a 64gb iphone 6. I did have to wait in line for about 5 hours :S because it was right after launch day! but it was worth it! DO IT before your return period ends!

18. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll go to the store tomorrow night and return it, hopefully 64gb Space Greys will be stock soon.

19. STC, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I returned the 16GB to the Apple Store. They didnt have any space gray 64s in stock, so went across the street to activate my 4S. ATT said the upgrade was avail. Used iStockNow and iDeviceFinder and found the 64GB at my local Best Buy. :D

20. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Instead of skipping a 32GB model, Apple shoulda just made 32GB the base model instead of 16GB...freakin lame Apple! $649 for 16GB, really?

21. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

64gb is the same thing now. Same price as the 32gb would have been.

22. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I understand that, my point is that Apple couldn't have threw its customers a freaking bone and make the base model 32GB instead of 16GB? I actually don't need 64GB, and would have been fine with 32GB if it was the base model (and saved $100) but I'm sure Apple left the base at 16GB to make the extra $100 from people like me. 16GB is just way too little nowadays to be comfortable.