Execution violates eighth amendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jul 23, 2014.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it won't stop them. famous words here.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

This statement bothers me a little bit.

This has been the common story among executions these days. How hard is it to make a drug that kills someone? People overdose every day and die.

I won't comment on my opinions on executions, but the least these people deserve is to die a painless death. It seems with all our science and technology we could do this...

4. zin macrumors 6502

U.S. states are experimenting because of a boycott by European pharmaceutical companies (the ones that previously provided the tried and tested drugs formulae) and various EU export embargoes that started in 2011.

These states don't use the death penalty because they believe it's a deterrent (it isn't) or that the punishment should fit the crime. They use it to prove a political point, that some how by employing this kind of action they some how take the moral high ground and get to act tough on crime. It sounds great during election campaigns.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

That's what I thought too. Just make the guy swallow 2 bottles of sleeping pills. He'll die in his sleep. No reason for complicated concoctions.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I hope the recent series of bungling executions may eventually lead to the US joining the rest of the civilised world and ending the practice. Sad people have to suffer to achieve this. Capital punishment only serves to satisfy the public's (or the uncivilised part of its) blood lust and desire for revenge- it's not justice.

7. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

They make everything so complicated. Why not just open a vein and let the scumbag bleed out?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because that's unconstitutional as the constitution prevents the usage of cruel or unusual punishments.

The same really applies to the death penalty as a whole but the Supreme Court hasn't got there yet.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The solution is simple: shouldn't private industry step up and make pentobarbital? I mean, there is a profit to be made....:rolleyes:

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Bring back the tried and true methods that were used prior to lethal injection. We know that the electric chair, gas chamber, firing squad and hanging are constitutional and we know they work.

11. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

Why doesn't the US join the civilised world and end capital punishment?

12. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

The last thing the US will ever join is the civilised world.

13. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I am more for the guillotine and burning at the stake. It kills the person gosh darned dead and at the same time feeds the bloodlust of peaceful, hard working republicans!

----------

WTF are you talking about? Have you ever been to the United States of America? We are not a civilized nation.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There is always Drawing and Quartering. No matter what means of execution that each state decides to use, it is certainly a better death than the victims received.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Hell, just bring back dismemberment. Now the lord pets of hard working republicans can be fed.

16. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I think if it came to states, then Arizona's preferred means of death would be to attend a luncheon outside in the 110 degree heat with John McCain as the keynote speaker!:p

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

? I think getting shot in the head and dying instantly (even if you were murdered) is a lot better than being Drawn and ****ing Quartered. Man, you guys are some serious sadists.

----------

If we MUST kill people, can't we just do it with lots of morphine? Or a bunch of propofol? Why is this so complicated?

----------

I'm envisioning the scene from The Dark Crystal where the Skeksis are all chowing down on some disgusting feast and are throwing the gristle on the floor for their weird pet/underlings to consume.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That would do it...

I wasn't serious about the Drawing & Quartering… The five methods that our states actually use are far more humane that what the victims got. To my knowledge no state uses drawing & quartering nor the guillotine.

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

(a) I disagree with that statement, and (b) why is "more humane than what the victims got" a useful measuring stick for the level of cruelty we allow in an execution?

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Well, we let them live for a decade or more. We tell them specifically when they will die. We let them kiss their loved ones goodbye. They have time to write out a will, eat a last meal. Their victims? Not so lucky.

21. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I am against capital punishment, but even in China where it's firing squad, it seems less gruesome than what happened in Arizona (basically slowly drugging a man to death via chemical suffocation) and cheaper (to satisfy those conservatives who want this all to be cheap).

But as per how our legal system works, there are appeals and short of completely changing our entire legal system, they will be long and expensive and in every case be far more expensive than life imprisonment. It's not uncommon for budget conscious conservatives to have become anti-death penalty, but based more on financial concerns. When the point was brought up by a GOP businessman who is a good friend of mine, his outrage over death penalty was the over $1 million per year in many years of appeal it cost to execute somebody over the then $30,000 dollars per year it took to keep a person locked up over same time. The average inmate in prison for life lived about the same time a California death row inmate finally got executed so it was literally a 33 to 1 cost differential between death vs. life.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If you commit a murder in the United States, no matter how many witnesses… no matter how gruesome… You have more chance of dying of old age than being executed.

23. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yes, I understand and agree with that factual statement. But I don't think the relativism between the two makes one OK just because it's not as bad as the other.

Killing people is just flat-out wrong, and two wrongs (even if one is less wrong than the other) don't make a right.

----------

If you commit a murder in the vast vast majority of the civilized world, no matter how many witnesses… no matter how gruesome… You're guaranteed to not die via execution. As it should be.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Something we are just going to disagree on.

25. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I think nobody has told the conservatives yet that killing the inmate won't bring back the loved ones. Hmm, maybe if you kill all the inmates (guilty and innocent alike), then all the loved ones will magically come back AND somehow nobody will ever commit homicide anymore since the death penalty is a deterrent.

Has anyone noticed that murder rates more often than not go up in states that have the death penalty? Some deterrent.