Executive Branch - POLITICS NBA Stars to Play in Obama Campaign Basketball Fundraiser

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Nov 21, 2011.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Link

Link

Thoughts on this?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Great. They're private citizens and can do what they like to raise money for the candidate they support. Fully transparently, too. You don't have to sign up for pay per view or buy tickets if you don't want. Better than channeling the contents of their wallets through Karl Rove's unaccountable Crossroads, right?

Right?

3. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

I just think Obama would be better suited focusing on issues at hand now, which could lead to re-election rather than temporarily employing NBA stars who are too selfish to come to an agreement (putting thousands of people out of employment country wide who aren't millionaires) to do a fund-raiser when in reality we all now it's an opportunity to shake hands with big wigs while getting their basketball fix.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A good idea I wish I thought of it. It'll probably bring in millions.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It certainly seems like one of the more entertaining fundraisers around. I think it just seems over the top because of the affiliation with the NBA players who are currently in the middle of a work stoppage.

However, if it wasn't a basketball game, it would be some other fundraising event. All of the candidates are doing them. Tis the season.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sorry, the president just signed legislation giving companies tax breaks for hiring unemployed military veterans and then embarked on an overseas trip to push for free-trade zones in Asia as well as strengthening military alliances with Australia, amongst other important matters.

You do realise that Congress is the legislative branch, right?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This old canard. How is he not focused on the issues at hand? Not a whole hell of a lot he can do without the cretins we call our Congress. And in case you weren't aware, who will lead this country beginning next year is one of the issues at hand.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wait, wait, wait. You think that Obama is organizing this on his own? That somehow this is going to eat into his time focusing on "issues at hand now"?

Another head-scratcher. The NBA stars are the greedy ones, but not the owners? I'll admit, I haven't been following the whole lockout thing (not a fan of the NBA), but I find it odd that you're so quick to criticize the players and not the owners. Especially since, knowing that there's not going to be a season, heck the players can put on a few games and provide employment to people for those games.

I can't wait to see the owners put together a game or two and generate as many jobs. Should be fun to watch the old guys try and shoot hoops.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Throw anything, anything, against the wall to see what sticks.

Seriously, why the president should get sucked into dealing with Congress right now with its approval ratings hovering around 10%... lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

10. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

The owners are just as guilty but instead of condemning the childish behavior of these millionaires and billionaires whose lockout is preventing thousands from working Obama invites them to raise money for his campaign. If this was a republican you guys would be jumping down their throats.

I just wanted to test out my theory. Thanks to all who have proved it. Back to the WW games. Ahhhhwooooo!

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What theory is that, renewed?

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Um, no? :confused:

I'm not sure what for.

I bet if this was a Democrat, you'd be jumping down his thro... Oh, right. I just wanted to test out my theory. Thanks to you who has proved it.

Not sure what you're trying to prove. If you're trying to prove that Democrats are contrarian, it's not quite a smart play to make a ridiculous, contrarian statement to begin.

"The sky is green!"
    "No, it's not. That's ridiculous."
    "You liberals, just being contarian again..."

:confused:

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Theory? Do tell. I'm gonna go make popcorn.

As for condemning the NBA situation, perhaps you forgot about this thread that you participated in.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1275805

14. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

I think my theory is pretty obvious and if it isn't then that just reinforces it more.

Yeah, that was my quote from there. And?

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, how about you have the courage of your convictions and spell it out for us all in black and white? We're not mindreaders, and personally, I wouldn't want to put words in your mouth.

No-one else opened this thread, so why not finish what you came here to start or at least engage with the points that people have raised? After all, you claimed that the president's attention was focussed on this fundraising event with absolutely no evidence at all. I wouldn't want to think you were new to this and just making things up out of thin air.

So, spill.

16. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

So he is going to throw this quote out there and then turn around and ask players from the NBA, involved in this NBA lockdown because they want to argue for more money when they make more money then multiple families do in 10 years combined in this time of crisis so his brilliant idea is to use them to raise money for his campaign, some seats going for $5,000.

I am not going to sit here and say he is the only political candidate (although currently president he is a 2012 candidate) that has their priorities screwed on incorrectly (both D. and R.) but I had to bring this up as a test.

As I predicted the responders did not even question his motives or the irresponsibility that is what he is doing, instead, began bashing me on my disagreement with a democrat's actions.

So either all of you are the people who you seem to be so against based on your posts in such threads as the OWS one or you pick and choose who you support based on the D. in front of their name or the liberalism in their speech instead of their actions.

You cannot support the efforts of OWS and also support this fundraiser by Obama without being hypocritical.

As I stated before if the person doing this had a R. in front of their name you would condemn them for exploiting millionaires to make more millions while the true sufferers of the lockout are unemployed for the holidays. Instead since he has a D. in front of his name it is a "good idea".

tl;dr: this forum is full of hypocrites and I just proved it.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

The average NBA career only lasts 5 years, meaning that most of the players will never get a chance to make millions ever again. So the terms of a contract renewal that supersedes the length of the average career is worth bargaining for.

Personally I think OWS is a joke but I have no clue how this is a test and how the board failed.

To me, it's just Obama fundraising and athletes volunteering their time.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Arent you meant to link obama to kevin bacon in the end? You almost made it but we're sidetracked by culture wars and insulting the forum.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So presidential candidates should be banned from gathering together like-minded people for fund raising?

Should the tea party be banned?
    What about businessmen?
    Soccer moms?
    Oilmen?

I really have no idea what your point is. Obama is clearly a fan of basketball so it's no surprise at all that he would want to reach out to his basketball loving supporters.

What's so shocking and hypocritical about that?

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're proposing a linkage between the NBA stars, who by arguing for more money have caused a lockout, and Obama's criticism of Wall Street.

This is a flawed idea. The NBA players are at odds with the owners over the salary cap as well as a proposal by the league to cut their salaries by up to 40 percent. Of course, some players like Kobe Bryant make $25 million, but there are players who make as little (in comparison) as $52,000. There's also the complexity of salary caps, revenue sharing, etc.
    So, yes, it's rich guys fighting richer guys over money, but it's also the kind of negotiations that happen in business between labor and the company.
    And, it sucks that people who work for the NBA are effectively out of work.

That said, for Obama to have a few NBA players at a fund-raiser strikes me as a non-issue (and I'd think so, if it Bush had done the same thing).

What's your control? If Democrats had criticized a Republican candidate for something similar, your charge of hypocrisy would be valid, however, that hasn't happened. So, as a test it fails.

Well, his motives are to raise money. Full stop.

As for the other charge, you seem fully interested in attacking liberals and Democrats without being willing to criticize your own camp, so I don't see those criticisms are any different.

You care about this because Obama is a Democrat, right?

No, you didn't. You set up a flawed puzzle box and then got all excited when someone picked it up.

21. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Sounds like fun.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

In the NBA, everyone is employed by the owners. The ONLY people who can solve this problem are the owners. They can choose to hire the only people who have the skills they want, or they can continue to keep thousands of people out of work.

The right-wing clowns like to say that we don't need minimum wages because the free market will determine how much a job is worth. If it is only worth a $1 an hour, then so be it.

Well, here we are in a situation where the free market is determining that the salaries need to be higher, and the right-wingers want to stifle the free market.

It has nothing to do with values, and everything to do with money and politics. Right-wingers only care about those who have lots of money, and anyone/everyone else is fodder for the machine.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes you can and you proved nothing. The NBA players have nothing to do with what OWS is protesting about. It was a horrible analogy. Nobody protesting is saying that people shouldn't be able to make money in this country and become rich. Nobody. They are protesting against unfair business practices and the tax dollars bailing out bankers who then get huge bonuses a year later. Two completely different things. The only thing you proved is that people on the right have no idea what OWS is all about.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's been interesting to see how the right flails at the Occupy movement as a catchall of fears and notions of hypocritical thinking. In many ways, I think it's revenge for all the criticisms of the Tea Party —*a kind of political "you see our guy to the hospital, we send their to the morgue" tit-for-that thinking. This manichean outlook makes for easy political arguments.