Executives/Business People: Comfort level with new MBP in front of clients?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phrasikleia, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

To me the new MacBook Pro looks rather unserious: too much like a toy, a giant iPod, if you will. While that shiny, two-toned look might work in the business world on something as small as a phone, I wonder how executives/business people feel about it on a laptop.

Would you want a client to see you with one of these new machines or would you feel a bit uneasy about it? Are they too youthful or too flashy? Or is this look as at home on Wall Street as it is on campus?

2. D-Love macrumors regular

If they are worried about something as trivial as that you are dealing with some way uptight people.:D

I think they look great, its not like the lid itself is gloss black.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any serious executive I know (myself included) doesn't waste time worrying about whether or not my notebook is making the proper "fashion statement". It's a tool. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it gets the job done! If someone makes judgements about people based on what their computer looks like, they're not, in my opinion, a serious/mature businessperson.

4. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Then why do so many people worry about wearing pin stripes or wingtips? Business people usually err on the side of conservative.

5. akashhhhh macrumors member

I can understand where you're coming from, I wonder if at some point there will be a more muted notebook for business users. If enterprise deployment of macs becomes big enough, I suppose.

I do agree with another poster though, if you prefer OSX, don't worry about it too much.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Naturally, it depends on what industry you're in and where you are, geographically. If you're in the fashion industry, I suppose they worry about such things. If you're in a more conservative industry like investment banking on Wall Street, I suppose pinstripes and wing-tips are still the thing. Most of the business people I meet in the world either wear regular suits or are more casual than that, and they're more interested in getting business done than in being too fussy about "accessorizing". In Silicon Valley, or most of Texas, it's more khakis or jeans even at the executive level.

Substance outweighs style.

7. mattrobs macrumors member

Highly refined aluminium and glass would look much more professional than any plastic (esp. shiny plastic) notebook you'd have with any other brand.

If you haven't seen them in the flesh, I'm sure that would change your mind. (I did today, and it did.)

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Agreed. Personally, I think the white plastic MB looks like a toy that will only be seen on college campuses, but that's only my opinion.

Although a tool's appearance has no bearing on its function, the first thing I notice about someone's computer is how it looks. I form a prediction in my mind about what kind of person someone is based on the products they choose to use, including computers, and I'm sure everyone else does too.

9. hempcamp macrumors member

Geez, you'd think this was 1952 and we were sitting around a board table of old white men in a smoke-filled room...

Executives are on average younger and more relaxed these days. It's the age of business casual and collaborative meetings and two-way performance reviews. I highly doubt any but the most antiquated execs care what a laptop looks like -- they care whether it will get the job done in the time required.

--Chris

10. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Depends...

I agree that it "should" not matter. But the world out there is competitive, and you never know when you are neck-t-neck with some other guy. At that point how well you speak, how you style your hair (professional enough?), how well your shoes are shined, and yes... your Notebook do make a difference.

That is why I still plan to hold on to my Blackbook :)

But it depends.... some examples:

Techinical Envirnoments (eg. Engineering & Supply Chain): No one cares
    IT: Be prepared for a possible backlash from the "haters"
    Banking/Finance/Consulting: DONT even think about taking in a silver notebook
    Sales: IMHO, subtlety is better in case of a first-time sales call

{with respect to all: Dont take advice from the guy called "hempcamp" on business matters... just kidding :) }

Hope it helps.

11. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i feel uncomfortable about people in suits, no matter what, especially when they really don't need to wear one.

12. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

Where exactly did you source this opinion you are presenting as fact?

13. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

IMO i think the new MBP when compared to the old one looks more profressional and is definitely more pro than any given HP, Dell, or Toshiba that execs use.

The sharp lines set it far apart...

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

IMO, the UMBP look like a aluminium pebble with a black mirror inside. Try using them in the AppleStore with their store light glaring down at you! The text on the screen, in some cases just vanish. Focus in and you'll see everything on their ceiling!!! Only good for uses in blackouts.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

But it's OK to do so from someone whose user name sounds like a yellow blob from an 80's video game? :D

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apart from the fact it's spelled wrong too? :p

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The macbook pro is great for fashion centric individuals (unlike myself) but the thinkpad is the end all of corporate fashionability .

All those flashing lights , nobs, and buttons, not to mention the trackpad with two independant buttons AND the eraser-nob thing in the middle with its own set of independant buttons. Its like a Ferrari w/ the cockpit from a jetliner of choice :) .

It screams "check me out i'm working because this little activity light says I am"

18. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Let me see:
    Two years of Full-time Business school that allowed me to have friends with 3-8 years of experience in these different areas. You learn as much from your peers in an MBA as anything else (and my class was pretty darned diverse).

I have worked in Corporate Finance for a Chemical and an Insurance Company, so I have corporate meetings accountants, engineers, supply chain, environmentalists, bankers, consultants, PhDs, actuaries, marketing, etc, etc on a weekly basis, if not more.

Also... Business School faculty.... had one of the Founders of Hyperion as a Professor. Much different from another professor, also a Ex-Morgan Stanley Investment Banker.... both these guys were worlds apart in their idea of business appropriate.

So I think I at least have exposure to different worlds to offer some opnion.

So, if you dont agree with me... its your prerogative, but try not to question my opinions when you dont know who I really am.

You dont even feel comfortable with people in suits.... so maybe you are an unquestioned expert????
    The OP asked for advice on a matter... what jewels of wisdom have you offered so far??

19. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Maybe I'm "Pacman" Jones from the Dallas Cowboys... (?) ;)