Exhibit A of Democrat Sanity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Apr 1, 2010.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA 4th Congressional District): The Island Of Guam Is Becoming So "Overly Populated That It Would Tip-Over And Capsize".

:eek:

http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/2...and-of-guam-is-becoming-so-overly-popula.html

Smart Power!

Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam could 'tip over and capsize'
    March 31, 2010, 4:23 pm by Christina Wilkie
    Washington Scene
    http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/...-hank-johnson-guam-could-tip-over-and-capsize
    Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) is afraid that the U.S. Territory of Guam is going to "tip over and capsize" due to overpopulation. Johnson expressed his worries during a House Armed Services Committee hearing on the defense budget Friday. Addressing Adm. Robert Willard, who commands the Navy's Pacific Fleet, Johnson made a tippy motion with his hands and said sternly, "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize." Willard paused and said: "We don't anticipate that."

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Assuming the video is real, it's no more a testament to Democrats being idiots/insane than it is to men being idiots than it is to people wearing suits being idiots than it is to the human race being idiots than it is to politicians being idiots.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That's silly talk. As silly as a politician who believes in an imaginary (blonde) man in heaven or who doesn't know Africa is a continent or who thinks New Hampshire is in the Northwest.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I think there's a difference between believing in God, not knowing geography, and thinking that a ~200 sq mi island is just a floating piece of grass that might tip over like a boat.

A better analogy would be comparing him to someone who believes the Earth is flat.

That being said, Johnson's stupidity has little to do with being a Democrat and everything to do with just being an idiot. There are plenty of those on both sides of the aisle (though Hank likely has the lowest IQ of them all).

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Or only 6000 years old.

I can't believe anyone would be surprised that some of our elected officials aren't all that smart. I mean, really, we had Dan Quayle, GWB and many others.

Both sides are guilty of sending some questionable characters to DC.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought it was only 2010 years old. :confused::D

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Don't you think there's a difference between "not that smart" and the astounding stupidity it takes to utter the following statement?

There are kindergartners who have a better grasp on things than this elected official. If you haven't actually watched the video, you definitely should. It's only about 3 min. long. I love the look on Admiral Willard's face after Johnson shares his fear.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well s***, let's not forget everyone's favorite moron- Joe Lieberman. Before he went independent, he was possibly the worst Democrat there was.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I guess the notion that an island disappearing into the sea due to a load on it is at least based on science. Belief in an invisible man with magic powers and a zombie child that wants us to consume his flesh for worship however.. no so much.

In any case, I'd love to get a recording of him and Palin discussing geography. Between disappearing islands and next door Russia it'd make for a few giggles.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Nice wholly-unrelated flame bait.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He does have a point. But yes, it could have been stated in a more diplomatic manner.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well, what is the diplomatic manner in which to categorically label all Christians as idiots in a thread about one politician's understanding of the island of Guam?

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Not voting along party lines doesn't necessarily make someone a moron. It certainly doesn't rule it out, but it's not on the same level as Rep. Johnson's comments.

No, it's not. He wasn't afraid that a bunch of weight would cause the island to sink into the sea. He was afraid that the addition of those 8,000 troops would literally cause the island to flip over, as if Guam was a boat floating in the middle of the Pacific.

The belief in some sort of higher power is based on faith. How people personify that power can be incredibly silly, but it's still based on some sort of belief that can neither be proved nor disproved.

The belief that an island will tip over if too many people live there is astoundingly stupid, or at the very least incredibly uneducated. Either way, people of the intelligence/education level of Rep. Johnson should not be in charge of anything more important than a mop and bucket.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

"Belief in a "god" is both irrational and illogical". That's how you say it. ;)

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

At least he didn't nuke the island, create an alternate reality, and destroy the mirror at the lighthouse. Way to go, Jack...;)

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Education

People confuse "Educated" and "Intelligent" all the time :p

This is the same guy, with 8+ years of "higher education" who claimed if Joe Wilson was not censured that "We will have people with white hoods running through the countryside again".

Yeah, and the conservatives are the ones engaged in fear mongering! :p

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think it is a testament to how inclusive the Democratic party is. Anyone can be a Democrat, unlike the Republican party, which appears to be striving to exclude members whose intelligence exceeds their limit.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yeah, lets get more of that mantra! For a moment I forgot which party was the compassionate and caring one :)

"GAWD REPUBLICANS ARE IGNANT AND REGRESSSSSSIV"

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You know, I think no one here disagrees that this guys statement was absolutely silly and demonstrates either his lack of intelligence or ignorance of certain facts (like islands aren't floating around like boats).

What I find disturbing is that here we have a democrat admittedly saying something stupid. No one seems to be disagreeing, the only issue is how everyone characterizes his stupidity.

If this was a Republican saying something stupid, doesn't it feel like those on the right would be lining up to support him, or attack the media for pointing out his comment?

I mean, I've heard Republicans say some outlandish things (death panels! Kill Grandma!) and instead of a uniform, across the isle agreement that statements like that are dumb, those on the right defend them and make liberal media arguments.

Where are the "conservative media" type attacks or those on the left defending this guy? *crickets* The only thing anyone can say is that there are some equally dumb crackpots on the other side too.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you. Post of the day.

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Sorry, but his belief is based on science, astoundingly stupid or not. Thing floats, thing gains too much load, thing sinks. At least he has some logical scientific reasoning behind it, he just happens to be unaware that Guam isn't floating, or the relationship of load and buoyancy if islands were actually floating. As opposed to the invisible man, which has no science behind it, yet people that believe in Him are in here saying this guy is dumb?

The guy is obviously not that clever, I wouldn't want him representing me in any way. But you have to put it in context..

22. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Good point! It's the same reflex action from Democrats that accepts Biden's daily goofs as smart power or speaking truth to power! This from the same genius party that assured us that we had to pass the health care bill to "find out what's in it."

Note that this representative is not just a no-name local democrat representative but Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) of the House Armed Services Committee! Many of the conservative blogs carried this story but none of the liberal media even mentioned it!

Right... :rolleyes:

23. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

He's dumb because he think the island floats. There is no science that says islands float. The fact that the existence of a higher power cannot be disproved any more than it can be proved is the difference.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm... well, the current crop in congress certainly doesn't do much to dispute that claim. They can't even be happy when Obama approves off-shore drilling. These Republicans are not interested in anything but winning, and that hurts us all.