Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I have been playing with 2.0 for a couple of hours and im now starting to reconsider getting the 3G iPhone :(

Quick someone convince me that i NEED it!!!!!!

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I have been playing with 2.0 for a couple of hours and im now starting to reconsider getting the 3G iPhone :(

GPS, better internet speed :p, new shiny thing to hold in your hand ;)... No scratches on it. Pristine ;)

After the upgrading fiasco, I might wait for the white one to be available to upgrade online and get that one :), just to be different ;)

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
But is GPS and faster internet worth £159???

My iPhone is still in pristine condition, i treat it like a baby!!!

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Better but is it worth the money???

I thought apps like Monkey Ball were gonna be around 3/400 MBs but 35MB is tiny even on an 8GB iPhone....

Getting the 16GB is a big turn on but im starting to feel like i wont need it!????

Anyone else with a convincing argument?

ibrainch

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
no brainer

you get better speaker, gps, and 3g and you can still sell your old phone on eBay for over $200 unlocked - it's basically a free upgrade...

mxpx5678

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
After playing with 2.0 I would really like the GPS features. The location based apps are some of the best ones and they really dont work that well with the triangulation.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006

I thought about getting it, but I figured nah. The 2.0 software update has everything I wanted. And I actually like the original iphones design more.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
But is GPS and faster internet worth £159???

My iPhone is still in pristine condition, i treat it like a baby!!!

I've started mistreating my iPhone (its got the plastic skins on it) just to make me get the 3g one :p, ahh well... 16GB 3G iPhone soon :D as soon as the hype dies for it.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Nothing says we can't buy a 3G in a month, 6 months, whatever...

I think I'm fine for now. I don't need more memory, I don't need a gps...

Would it be nice? Absolutely, but I'm enjoying 2.0.

I'm sure I'll be jealous when everyone is freaking over their 3G tomorrow though.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I am getting the 3G only because I get a discount on voice+data, which I didn't get on the 2G. Otherwise I would so keep my 2G, hmmm I still might and run it unlocked:rolleyes:

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Better but is it worth the money???

I thought apps like Monkey Ball were gonna be around 3/400 MBs but 35MB is tiny even on an 8GB iPhone....

Getting the 16GB is a big turn on but im starting to feel like i wont need it!????

Anyone else with a convincing argument?

I feel what you saying but consider the apps you add over time. If I'm gonna be stuck with this phone for a while then I'm gonna get the 16GB to make sure I don't run out of space or get close to it.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I'd like to think a year. But that's just crazy-talk. Probably... by Christmas, or whenever there's a price-drop/spec-bump. One of those things will happen within the last part of the year.

Is a price drop really realistic with the current price points?

How low can they go?

myphone

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
USA

If you're willing to pay $15 dollars a month, that's $180 a year and $360 in two years go for it. For me, I'm going to save my $360 and buy the 3rd generation of iPhone:) I need a faster processor, not 3G.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Is a price drop really realistic with the current price points?

How low can they go?

Consider the real price, not the made-up/subsidized price. The real price for an 8GB is closer to $500, or more. So, that can come down quite a bit. Like, free (subsidized) 8GB iPhone from AT&T with 2-year contract. The actual prices can come down a lot. I don't know they will. I actually would lean more toward a spec-bump (faster processor from Intel or Apple's new acquisition) and/or larger storage space for the money.

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I don't know if a pricedrop is realistice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a memory bump toward the end of the year. I'm guessing in time for the holiday shopping season there will be a 32 GB iPhone 3G at the price point of the current 16 GB, the 16 GB will take the price point of the 8 GB, and the 8 GB will be discontinued. This is purely my speculation.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I don't know if a pricedrop is realistice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a memory bump toward the end of the year. I'm guessing in time for the holiday shopping season there will be a 32 GB iPhone 3G at the price point of the current 16 GB, the 16 GB will take the price point of the 8 GB, and the 8 GB will be discontinued. This is purely my speculation.

That's very reasonable speculation. But I still think the (real) prices could come down considerably. Even if you look at the refurb market through Apple/AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.