Expect mandatory upgrades if iPhone 5s is jailbroken.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdmoore74, Sep 11, 2013.

1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I doubt Apple will allow jailbroken iPhone's with a fingerprint scanners to roam free. I see Apple becoming more aggressive with the fight against jail-breakers. Like mandatory upgrades in order to access the app store or Apple services. I can easily see someone writing an App that snoops in the area that holds you fingerprint data. Expect Apple to have no mercy!!!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Starting with the iPhone 3Gs, the internal NAND is hardware encrypted. The encryption key is stored in a similar way as the fingerprint data. iOS itself is unable to access this encryption key and the fingerprint data. Even on jailbroken devices, it is not possible to access the encryption key.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Uhh...did you watch the video in your link?

It's drawing a perfect imagine of the finger print. Then they are going on about high quality imagines it takes...

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a generic animation, not the person's actual fingerprint.

6. cynics macrumors G3

And them talking about the high quality imagine it takes that's better then the human eye can see?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nonsense.
    Apple will not allow jb iPhones with fingerprint sensors to roam free in the wild?:rolleyes:
    Where did you come up with this?
    Jb will live forever.
    Unless you really believe anyone can stop hacking forever.
    There's always going to be glitches in the code that some will be able to expose.

8. fs454 macrumors 65816

This.

And if there was "mandatory upgrades" to iOS, there'll be a hack to disable it just as quick as there's a jailbreak.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Post of the day... thank you for making me laugh hard for 5 minutes.

10. falcora macrumors 6502

From what I can tell, the fingerprint chip is completely separate from the system memory/processor. This means that it handles the fingerprint learning and authentication, and just sends a simple pass/fail message to the main processor. This keeps the fingerprint data completely separate and isolated from the internet, and system memory. On top of all that, it's encrypted. I'd have to see more detailed schematics, but it should be theoretically impossible to hack out a fingerprint.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The image is only seen by the Touch ID sensor. The sensor's own chip processes it into fingerprint data which is then stored only in the A7. The fingerprint image never leaves the Touch ID sensor and is not accessible to anything but the Touch ID sensor. Once the fingerprint data is moved to the A7, the image is removed.

12. DowdyFick macrumors regular

butler-leonidas-300-kopis.jpg

But seriously, the 5S may even be jailbroken even sooner than the 5 was considering the overhaul of iOS 7.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just thought I'd point out that Apple can push out a mandatory OTA update. The ability is there, they just haven't used it. Will they? Unlikely they ever will.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but if you're already jb then the OTA update feature gets disabled anyway:)
    And even if it wasn't disabled the OTA will just error out and won't install over a jb device. That's something that apple put in place and kinda good for us that jb:)

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple could reengineer the OTA process to force an OTA or iTunes restore. Then there's the possibility that the iPhone 5C/5s will never be jailbroken

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why would Apple be so aggressive about a jailbreak?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    But once jb hopefully we will be able to disable that feature again;)
    But I'm getting too far ahead, lets see how things go with the iOS 7 jb first and really hoping for a 5S jb.
    I'd probably upgrade to it when there's a jb or I'm sticking to my i5 till then.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreaks show a security weakness that could be exploited to unethical means. It also poses a way to remove a device from Apple's complete control and it throws in unexpected variables that are later blamed on Apple, while Apple is not at fault because they were never expected or planned for.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They just like to piss us off but we won't give up:D

20. Topher227 macrumors regular

It's also possible that TouchID could be completely disabled on a jailbroken device... similar to how some Android devices can't use NFC Payments when rooted, due to the 'Secure Element' determining that the device is rooted. Keep in mind that there is a by-pass for some devices to by-pass that secure element check....

I guess we'll just have to see what happens! :)

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very Good point.
    We won't know details until the 5S is out and the jb devs get their hands on it.

22. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

imagine a jailbreak just by using the fingerprint scanner.

I know it won't happen, but think of the Jailbreakme days and what that allowed us to do.