Experience Buying iPhone at release from BestBuy.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygiants242, Sep 11, 2012.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

Hi guys,

During the Super Bowl, I signed up for Best Buy's promotion in which they give you a $50 gift card if you text your number to them and eventually choose to upgrade your phone there (online or in-store). I would prefer to get mine directly from the Apple Store, either by waiting in line or by ordering online from Apple.com. However, the $50 is a nice bonus, so I may actually opt to go for Best Buy instead.

What has been your experience ordering from them on launch day? Would you recommend it? Do they sell it at the same time (pretty much) as Apple accepts pre-orders on apple.com?

Thanks!

2. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

type "best buy" in the search box in the upper right hand corner and there are a few threads already discussing this.

3. CH34P3T macrumors regular

I preordered my iPhone 4 in store at Best Buy I believe on the same say Apple announced it. Then a day before the official release, I received a phone call that my phone was ready for pickup the next day. I came in at 7am, they activated it, I signed the contract and I was in and out with phone in hand in about 10 minutes. After that, I went to the Apple Store where hundreds of people were lined up still waiting for the Apple Store to open. Lol

4. creed16 macrumors member

My experience with best buy is not a good one. I was the first one in store to preorder a 32gb white 4s. They made me purchase a $50.00gift card to preorder. On the night before launch day I get the call that they did not receive any 32gb or any white iPhones at all. I had to wait until they got a new shipment. On launch day I went and waited in line at AT&T and I was able to get my choice of phone in less than 45 mins. I then went back to bb to get my refund on my gift card. They refused. I had to call corporate ( because it does say that as long as you have a receipt there should be no problem getting a refund on a gift cad). After calling corporate and getting the ok the store manager still did not want to give me a refund. Kept telling me he would get into trouble, etc. finally after a bit they agreed.
    So no, I will not be preordering at BB if I actually want to see my phone on launch day.

5. brandnewrock22 macrumors newbie

From my personal experience (I worked there during all previous iPhone launches), there were never options for pre-ordering online. The only way to do it was to reserve it in-store to pick it up on or after launch day. I'm not sure if things have changed this year, but I'm sure you can weasel some information out of them after today's conference!

6. RenoG macrumors 65816

I wont be pre-ordering from any big box stores, I've been burnt twice. Name on the list and all, went to pick up the phone and nothing, sorry we only got in XX and those are gone (dude you opened like two minutes ago, with no line outside). Went and stood in line at the ATT across from my job for about 30min and got what I wanted. This year I'll try online through apple or att.

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea it is risky as hell getting it from there (especially 64 GB models). Although, I still might try do to reward zone points. I used to work there so I know how to maximize my points.... normally you get 1 point per $1 for reg members, 1.25 points for Silver members... 250 points = $5

new iPhone 64 GB = $399.99 (tax not included, assuming same pricing), so I would get 399 x 1.25 = 498 points (always rounded down)... So only $5 assuming my points started at "0"... I would also get miles on my credit card.

My way:
    Use Best Buy Master Card for $1
    Use Best Buy Credit Card for $1
    Pay the rest on my Venture Card

I only lose out of a 4 miles on the transaction versus the top method. The two best buy cards give me Quad points... SOOOO:

399 x 4 + 399 x 0.25 (Silver) = 1695

1695 points... now I get $30 instead of $5 and I still get the miles on my venture card