Experience with Obama "Telemarketer"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GfPQqmcRKUvP, Mar 31, 2008.

1. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I just wanted to write a little bit about an experience I had last night with an unsolicited call from a telemarketer who was marketing a candidate, Barack Obama.

(Badandy looks at clock, it's 1:12 AM. He should probably think about stopping his work and going to bed soon.)

Ring...Ring...Ring goes the iPhone

Blocked number, who could this be.

Me: Hello?

ObamaGuy: Hi, I work for Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign and I was just wondering if you had registered to vote.

Me: Yes, I am registered to vote.

OG: And you're registered to what party?

Me: I'm a registered Republican but I view myself more as a libertarian now a days.

OG: Well, that's bad. Libertarians suck and so do Republicans. Look, a whole new type of politics in Washington is going to happen. The change is coming and you can either support us or get swept aside.

Me: Is this a joke?

OG: Libertarians suck, everybody knows that. Get on board.

Me: Look here, it's 1:15 in the morning and you're on the phone making unsolicited calls to...

(CLICK)

-------------------------

Now I know I can't categorize the Obama campaign by one call, but it certainly did annoy me. Here I am, late at night trying to get more work done, and I get interrupted by someone who shouldn't even have my number to pitch a candidate to me I'm not going to vote for anyway. Has anyone had experiences similar to this? I think I could have swallowed this whole experience better if the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello?

OG: Hey, I work at Obama's campaign and was wondering if you had registered to vote.

Me: Why, yes, I had.

OG: And how are you registered?

Me: I'm a registered Republican.

OG: I see. I don't know if you knew, but we have many Republicans on board and I urge you to check out Barack's web site to see if some of his ideas strike a chord with you that maybe you didn't realize.

Me: They don't, thanks.

OG: Alright then. Well thanks for your time, call a campaign center anytime if you have a question.

Me: Alright, never call me at this hour or I'll...

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Do you by any chance live in a state with an upcoming primary, particularly an open primary where you, a registered Republican, can vote for the Democratic candidate?

There is a long proud tradition of cold-calling voters claiming to represent an opponent and delivering an offputting message. When you receive a political message late at night or during the dinner hour, this is almost always the case. Actual campaigns are never this stupid when promoting their own candidates.

I cannot guarantee it, but if you have an open primary coming up there is every chance you were called by your own party hoping to get you to vote Clinton because they see her as the easier candidate to beat. They know to call you because you're registered with them. Beyond that, the Clinton campaign would be a more likely culprit than the Obama campaign, which, again, would have to be incredibly, unbelievably stupid to have made the call you describe on its own behalf.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I 2nd what Gelfin said. On top of that, are you sure it wasn't a friend prank calling you?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That was my first thought as well. While I certainly don't doubt that the Obama campaign might have some dumbasses working for them that might do something like this, anyone doing cold-calling knows that placing calls late at night (or at dinner time, or calling repeatedly etc.) are self-defeating tactics.

And it certainly wouldn't be the first time a dirty trickster pulled something like this.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Very interesting. It certainly seems possible.

jadedmonkey: I'm sure. I was thinking that at first but ruled it out pretty quickly.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sadly in this campaign chances are the person calling you really is for the Obama Campain.

The problem with his campaign set up is it does stop morans from calling. They have an open phone number list for people to call. There have been a lot of reports of Obama campaign doing things like this. It not because some one trying to ruin him but because a lot of his big time supporters are idoits. Not idiots to much of a fanboy/Girl to not understand why everyone is not as exacted as they are.

A good example is there are a lot of apple users who are the same way.

If it was me who recieved a call like at 1AM as soon as I heard "I am from the Obama campaign" they would of gotten a nice F- You followed by a click.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Same thing happened to me but with Clinton the week before Super Tuesday.
    They called me every evening during dinner time. I had never thought that it could've been "dirty" tactics until you guys mentioned it now.

Pisses me off that "political surveyors" can get around the no call list rules.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Like mactastic said, it could have been some dim bulb in the Obama campaign. But I really doubt it.

I mean, think about it: calling you at that time of night, and then getting all snotty with you? You'd have to be ridiculously stupid to think you could get people to vote for Obama that way.

Doesn't that seem likely it was the caller's intent to get you upset? And to thereby damage the image of Obama and/or his followers?

And that points to either the Clinton or McCain camps. It's possible it was a McCain supporter trying to damage Obama's reputation, so they can face their preferred opponent, Hillary, in the fall. But the fact that the caller also ridiculed Republicans doesn't support that. So that leaves the Clinton camp.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

On the contrary, that line in particular is what most suggests to me the GOP as the likely source of the calls. It wasn't ridicule or even criticism of Republicans. It was a threat against Republicans. "Support us or get swept aside," the caller said. That's such a scary statement that if it were the Clinton campaign it could actually backfire against them too by scaring moderate Republicans so badly that they rally behind McCain. I won't say conclusively the Clinton camp wouldn't be that shortsighted, but it seems less likely. The more I look at it, the more the message Badandy described seems almost tailor-made to terrify conservatives.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Do you really think that. I think it is by far more likely a dim bulb. Obama campain set up is very bad for preventing the dim bulbs. There have been a lot of reports about the Obama camp having this problem to many to think that it is some one trying to do harm to the campaign. Enough to clearly show that people are idoits. that is what Obama gets for having an open calling list.. A lot of the supporters just do not understand it.

Obama camp has a lot of the young crowd that tend to stay up later, Are very fanatical and think everyone should be like them.

Hell the first post to me looks like a fanboy/girl called him. They can not understand why sone one would not want to support Obama

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

And you actually believed this call was from the Obama campaign?

There were a few things that tipped me off that this is either:

-some kid pranking people
    -another campaign trying to get you to not vote for Obama

First, I doubt the Obama campaign would have it's people cold-calling at 1am. I would imagine that the campaign managers would not let people like that on the telephone, but would instead put them on sign posting duty or another job that requires no human contact.

Unfortunately it looks like whatever that person was trying to do succeeded. Even if "McCain's campaign" had called me at 1am I would have known right away it wasn't the McCain campaign, and I hate McCain.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well one thing wrong with your first assumption there. Obama calling campain is very open. People call from there personal phones where ever they are at. Cell phones. They have some good ways of saying what the call is for online. Along with the list of numbers.

It is not like normal campains where getting the calling list you have to get permision. It is very easy to get them for Obama.

Problem is this is one of many reports about the Obama campain having late night calling issues. I highly doute it is a ogizided smear campain by the other side. At worse it is some radical who is trying to smear obmama because they like the other person more. The most likely story is it is a Dim bulb..

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I did myself get a call from a young Obama supporter prior to the California primary, but I have no idea what he was going to say as I was in a rush at the time and had to excuse myself.

Not to doubt your word, since I really have no clue how the Obama campaign is structured, but a few stabs at a Google search are turning up too much noise for any search terms I can think of to find any information about this problem you're referring to. Could you provide some sort of reference for additional information about this?

I won't rule out completely that this was an incredibly stupid over-enthusiastic Obama supporter with no structured mechanism to in place prevent this sort of thing, and were I to learn for certain that this is a problem endemic to the organization of the Obama campaign, then it would probably have more impact on my judgment of his leadership ability than pointing out he is friends with a racist.

However, if this is the case, the extent to which the end result resembles a common dirty campaign trick is simply uncanny, and I still regard this as a far more likely interpretation, particularly for a call after 1 in the morning.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Ah, I was not aware of the structure of the calling list.

Well, if that's the case, then I would either attribute it to one of three things:

-a "dim bulb" thinking he is helping the campaign
    -a kid pranking people
    -another campaign trying to smear Obama

Unfortunately we won't know exactly which one of these it was, but if I were called at 1am by any campaign, I wouldn't take the call seriously, and my view of that campaign wouldn't be affected negatively or positively. I'm sure Obama doesn't suggest his supporters call people at that hour, and he would actually disapprove of such actions.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm not voting for Obama for more reasons than getting a late night, rude phone call, so it didn't succeed. But to your point, I see how this could definitely succeed in swaying some undecideds who have in the past been conservative and maybe are a little weary about stepping the the other side of the spectrum.

16. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

sounds like just some random idiot/kid on the phone.
    when i make calls for hillary, they dont even let us do it after 9pm.
    there's a call tool on the website and you click "make a call" and you use whatever phone you have to call then report the results then click next call.
    but it doesn't work after 9pm in the call destination's time zone

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I figured it's either McCain or Obama, as I don't think people would still be calling on behalf of Hillary seeing as though she has almost 0 chance of winning. If only I knew! Perhaps I'll get another call tonight.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think the most likely one is the "dim bulb" one. The least likely the kid pranking people.

Another campaign I also think is very unlikely.

Sad part is as of person being serious I think the person was very set on they though they where doing the right thing. Now I think Obama does not support it and would discourage it.

The person was more than likely college age and may of even been in college. To those people 1Am is still early. Hell while I was in college one could call me as late as 2am most nights and I was still up and about. Hell most of the time I did not go to bed until 3AM at the earliest. If that is the norm 1AM is not late.

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I usually handle unsolicited calls in one of the following ways:

a) Initially greet them & then put the phone down, walk away, and let them blabber on & on until they realize no one is there

b) hang up on them

c) a few choice 'colorful metaphors', followed by a hang-up

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A friend of mine has a very cute 3-year-old daughter who, more than anything, loves to talk to the phone. So, he just lets the telemarketer start his talk and hands the phone to her and she will listen and patter along.

According to him, he came back after fifteen minutes and found the phone sitting on the couch. So, he picked up the phone and just as he was about to put it back on the charger, heard a tiny voice. He listened, realized the telemarketer was still talking, and said, "Dude, seriously give up."

Personally, I just put them on hold.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Very true. I wasn't suggesting this had swayed you one way or another. But you got it right; this sort of activity may change the opinion of undecideds.

If this becomes more common, the Obama campaign needs to take steps to only release their phone lists to responsible/knowledgeable callers who call at decent hours.

22. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is a republican trick that has been used since Nixon. This was NOT a person associated with Obama. It was a McCain supporter out to piss you off. I am sure you can find ample proof on Google. Although he did not invent it, Lee Atwater made a science of it. It is well documented.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Personally, I think he should change his name to Break Obama. Then his campaign slogan can be the jingle from Kit Kit or the McDonalds "Have you had your break today?" campaign. When facing tough opponents, he can use the Ivan Drago classic "I will Break you."

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's very possible, but I too have heard that Obama's call lists are rather easy to gain access to. I have also heard many Obama "supporters" speak in very similar ways to how this caller treated me. It's not out of the question.

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think it's probably equally likely to be from an idiot in the Obama campaign, someone in Hillary's camp (sure the list is unavailable after 9 in the callee's timezone, but there's nothing preventing them from writing down a number to use later), or the local GOP.

I sometimes feel sorry for people in swing states when the general is happening and the tricks are flying... it sometimes makes me almost happy to live in a state where I know my vote is mostly symbolic since the Electors will end up going GOP anyway. At the very least it keeps me out of trouble with a lot of people since I don't feel the need to evangelize to try to influence the state's vote since, at most, I might get 1 person to change her vote, and that would require weeks of sleeping on the couch as I tried to convince my wife to not vote GOP, of course if the primaries are any indication, she probably won't vote so I'm halfway there. I will, however, try to corrupt my children as they get older, but that's what good parents do, right?