Experience with your Apple leather cases? I heard bad reviews, cancel order?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Krissypantz2828, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I heard they wear really easily. Making it look less classy. Anyone have experience with this? More in particular the blue one?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Just like any other leather case, it'll wear and change color over time.

3. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I've had the black one a week now, looks mint condition still.

4. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

True but people are reporting wear and tear over a time frame of a week. :eek:

5. cal6n, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

All leather ages over time, although it's less obvious with darker colours. If you don't like the look of aged leather, then maybe you should consider another material.

I suspect the people who are reporting rapid wear and tear, rather than the leather ageing, are similar to those who reported rapid scuffing on the iPhone 5, shattered backs on the iPhone 4 and scratched bezels on the iPhone 3G. I could be wrong, though...

6. wepiii macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for about a week. Still looks exactly like it did when I put it on. By far, the best fitting, nicest looking case I've ever had. Actually improves the feel of the phone in the hand

7. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I don't mind the look of aged leather, as long as it looks good I guess.

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I would never buy anything leather that is not black or brown.

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

[​IMG]

Things were different 20 years ago. :)

10. Warcake macrumors regular

What do you expect, the leather on apples case is thinner than your usual leather merchandise.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I've had a brown one since launch day. It still looks pretty much the same. Leather is mellowing a bit, but that improves the look.

12. BuickGS67 macrumors newbie

I ordered a black one and tried it on the 5S. I wasn't happy with it, as it did not seem to offer much screen protection (no lip to keep the screen from touching surfaces.) It was a bugger to get back off the phone because it's fit was so tight. I sent it back and got a Spigen Tough Armor, which I prefer over the leather case.

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

False, my official Apple leather case most certainly has a lip to protect the phone from touching surfaces, this can also be seen in all pics and video reviews of the case. Please don't post blatant misinformation.

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

I agree with the above poster. It most certainly has a lip.

Also, just a note, the buttons are a bit hard to push (Sleep/Wake anyway) until you wear it in.

Lastly, you can't fit the Lightning-to-30-pin adapter or the dock with the case on. You can buy the lightning-to-30-pin cable adapter but that is a tight fit with the case, and when I went into the Apple Store, the genius ripped my case with it. He gave me a new case, but you have to be careful, it's tight. I need this adapter for my car stereo.

15. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Your case is there to take the damage the world throws at it right? Whats the problem? If you dont ever expect your device to come into contact with anything which causes damage you wouldnt need a case?

Your case WILL get scuffs, bumps and damage. Thats what its supposed to do, thats its job, its sole reason for existence. If you take away scuffs and bumps, it has no reason to live, your case will be sad.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This forum has a lot of folks that aren't reasonable in one way or another so I'd take everything with a grain of salt. ;)

I bought my wife the red and I have a brown. She keeps the red in her purse and like you should expect from leather it has some wear on it. I don't have a man bag so mine looks like it did on day one.

It's kind of a crap-shoot with leather on how durable it is and how it will wear (depends on what it is and how it's processed and finished). Especially with these cases when no one knew what to expect before they put it on their phones.

Personally, after I got the brown on my phone it doesn't look "luxurious" like I want leather to look. I would have liked it to be darker with more grain. Maybe even a little more sheen to it. Red looks great. Only time and use will tell how well they age.

17. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

I bought a brown one HOPING it will wear and age like good leather does. I don't like the shade of brown it is currently, but I'm hoping it will darken up with the oils from my hands and after a few months look really nice and broken in. Time will tell though, since it hasn't been out long enough for that to happen. I am not sure a lot of people understand the end game with leather, and a lot of other materials, and how age and wear add beauty and character. Many people expect everything to stay new and flawless these days.

18. HiRisk macrumors 6502

There's a thread for that: New-Apple-Leather-Case
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1633562

19. gCloud macrumors 6502a

agreed the case makes the phone nicer an easier to hold, if you are worried about wear get the black one, I personally like the look and feel of worn leather.

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I have the black - and it looks lovely!

It has a slight scratch mark on the back from when a cow obviously got caught up on a fence - but you get that with all leather products from time to time, and I think it adds character!

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not just thickness but there are varying types and grades of leather as well.

22. wxman2003 Suspended

You have to remember, this isn't thick leather, or the highest quality leather. It's probably a 50 cent piece of leather wrapped around a 10 cent case being sold for $40. You can get a wallet with 5 times as much leather that is twice as thick for $5 to $10 on Amazon. Think about it.

23. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Why have I yet to find a case that has fit as well, been this slim and overall nowhere near the quality and feel of this case in all of my years and years with every iteration of an iphone? Sure maybe it's overpriced, then again what case isn't?

24. jehartley macrumors member

I have two of the black Apple leather cases. One is on my son's black/slate iPhone 5, and the other is on my space grey iPhone 5s. We love them. The feel is great, the fit is great, and the look is great.

I wanted the brown and red, but after seeing reviews of how the color changes so rapidly, I went with black and couldn't be happier. I have to say, though, if the brown and red didn't have the discoloring issues, I would get those in a heartbeat.

25. wxman2003 Suspended

I agree. I bought a black one. But bought it for the fit and thinness. I understand the leather will not last years and am not expecting it to. Leather can easily be scuffed, that is the nature of it.