Experiences with AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netnothing, Sep 22, 2012.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thinking of getting just a basic film for the back of my iPhone 5 and getting AppleCare+ for it. Was wondering what people's experiences have been in dealing with Apple in the past.

I read the terms and details and see where AppleCare+ doesn't "technically" apply to any normal wear and tear:

So my main question is.....has anyone gotten a replacement phone from Apple under AppleCare+? Did you have to "break" the phone in order to receive it?

So for example, after a year your phone has a bunch of dings and scratches....I'm guessing Apple considers that "normal". So do people...."accidentally" drop the phone to be able to get it replaced?

Just looking at my options since I'd rather not cover this phone up with a case. I do want a film for the back just to prevent scratches.

Also....for people you added AppleCare+ after purchase (with a Genius Bar appointment).....did you have a film on the phone? And if so, did Apple make you remove it to inspect it?

Thanks!

-Kevin

2. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I have used AppleCare+ 2 times once with my iPad 3 and the other with my iPhone 4S. Both times was a breaze my iPad actually got ran over buy a truck (long story) and I told them exactly that, and they replaced it no questions asked. And the iPhone was just as easy I dropped it getting your of my car and broke the screen and got it replaced no problem.

I got AC+ on my iPad after the purchase and went in to apple to have them inspect it and I had a Smart Cover on and the guy didn't even open the Smart Cover, he just fliped it over and looked at the S/N and sent me on my way. So I don't think a screen protector or back protector will be an issue.

And I don't know how it would work if you just had some scratches or a dent on your device, I don't think they will do anything because its just cosmetic. But if you "accidentally" dropped it they would replace it.

I would definitely recommend AC+

3. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

That is a great q on the worn and scuffs. I think it may depend on the genius. Also do they give new or refurb? New i hope esp since u have to pay 49$

4. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

Refurb. The Terms and Conditions of AppleCare+ explain that any replacement will come in the form of a refurbished phone. That word really scares people, but the phones are perfect and might as well be new.

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah I'm fine with refurb. Got a refurb ipad that's basically new.

I really don't want to slap an ugly case on the 5 but need some protection.

Anyone know if the standard $199 replacement fee still exists for the 5?

-Kevin

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks everyone. I'm going to add it to our phones today. Apple also raised the Out of Warranty price for the iPhone 5 to $229:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1450902

I figure....it covers us for 2 years.....and I guess I could always "accidentally" drop it in the toilet towards the end! :eek:

-Kevin