Experts Warn of Backlash in Donald Trump’s China Trade Policies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, May 2, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/03/us/politics/donald-trump-trade-policy-china.html?_r=0

IMHO, Trump might be wrong. I agree that correlation is not necessarily causation.

And yet how none of these experts can come up any solutions and means to implement them? Right or wrong, they should say SOMETHING instead of "You are always wrong" because anyone who's had an ex that did nothing but blame showed there was a bigger problem with the ex.

Here's one idea: Stopping all corporate welfare given to companies that offshore jobs and/or profits. How is that bad? How is that good? Pose the bill to lawmakers and prohibit riders from being introduced to fetter and litter the process, which was probably why the GOP-dominated congress quickly shot down a similar option in 2005: http://www.ontheissues.org/SenateVote/Party_2005-63.htm .

Note who voted YES on a bill that, per its headline, is far more "free market" than what the corporate welfare takers will ever admit. Or maybe it's easier to say "Note who voted NO" since it was every single GOP person, even Grassley, and even "corporate" and/or "centrist" Democrats like Obama and Clinton voted YES to halt the corporate welfare (so there's another reason to give Clinton consideration on November as well).

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The experts are wrong as often as they are right...

"Corporate welfare" is also just hate speech. If you have specific examples please cite them. The government incentivizes corporations and specific behaviors though the use of tax breaks and other financial rewards. It's like paying farmers not to plant a certain crop. Government planners do this for a specific purpose.

If there is a particular incentive you are targeting, name it and debate it. Don't just throw out divisive liberal hate-speak intended to do nothing except extract an emotional response.

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

4. jerwin macrumors 65816

Do you even care about the meanings of words?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

"Hate speech" is a new trend to get the regime to censor opinions.

This has been practiced in europe for centuries.

Thank god for the first amendment!

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apparently more than many in these forums.

The divisive nature of the liberal argument against so-called corporate welfare is nothing more than the politics of hatred and division.

Name the programs that you wish to attack. Put a cost to them along wth the impact of cutting them.

Simply throwing out "corporate welfare" as the liberal hate speech that it is does nothing to encourage discussion, it only fosters blind hatred of big business.

I wonder how many of you are employed right now by companies who have been the beneficiaries of this so-called corporate welfare...

You don't want tax benefits for businesses who spend billions in capital to build factories here at home? Fine. They will just have yet another reason to locate abroad.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The utterances of economists rest on the same foundation as the mutterings of clergy and politicians. That is to say, they're un-falsifiable.

8. jerwin macrumors 65816

I'm not sure that you even understand the concept of the political.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's not what corporate welfare means to me. Except in the case of oil companies which do not need any help. For me corporate welfare means a corporation paying low wages and expecting the government to pick up the slack and fill the gap with government assistance to the working poor.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Says the guy who has told native born citizens to get out of their own country for expressing a differing opinion about how their own government should be run.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

Once we expel the haters and dividers, we can embark on a new golden era of national solidarity. We will be stronger without dissent to hold us back!

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    "...but this opens with a vast accession of strength from their younger recruits, who having nothing in them of the feelings or principles of ’76 now look to a single and splendid government of an Aristocracy, founded on banking institutions and monied incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry. this will be to them a next best blessing to the Monarchy of their first aim, and perhaps the surest stepping stone to it."

Though I don't agree with Jefferson on every point he's ever made concerning the federal government, I can't ever argue his logic, and am almost entirely surprised at how almost prescient the guy was.