Expired Warranty - beyond of 1 year :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kbun, May 15, 2011.

1. kbun macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm 8 days out of my Apple Macbook Pro 13" 1-year purchase. I forgot to renew..no other excuse for this.

However, I did some reading on your forum and read about the extended coverage provided by credit cards..I checked and I purchased my macbook pro on my Amex..called and they verified they can extend the warranty by 1 year (i.e. the initial term).

My questions are below:
    1. Am I somehow eligible to buy applecare given this Amex extended warranty, or I assume they are entirely separate?
    2. What other options do I have to purchase warranties that people have used - Bestbuy...etc?
    3. I plan to call Apple shortly to see if they may still allow (unlikely) - has anyone had success cases with this?

To clarify, I do not have any problems yet with my MBP, and use it lightly for word processing/online, but rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks so much!

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

3. gr8tfly, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm not sure about the 3rd party options, but I can say Apple is very strict on that 1-year deadline. Even one day late and you are out of luck (don't ask how I know that... ;) ).

Nope - it must be purchased within one year of the product's purchase date.

4. kbun thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, might I say I am very impressed with the speed of response on this forum! :D

Yeah, from my reading it seems like they are strict but I am wondering if there have been ANY cases of exclusions - i.e. some sort of sob story...

Seems like I'm safe enough for the next year on the Amex warranty (thank god), but wondering what to do after that.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Not saying it's not possible however

The ONLY story that I've seen on these boards is when someone purchases applecare before the 1 yr warranty is up but fails to register it until it expires. That's the only time i've heard of apple reps budging.

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Bummer.
    You win some you lose some. :(

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Give Apple a call and be polite and reasonable on the phone. Explain that it just expired and that you were in a situation that you could not go to a store etc. If you can maybe visit a store. I assume there is nothing wrong with it? In that case do not worry about it :) it should work fine for many years to come. I have found that the mbps I have used just for routine day to day stuff have never broken or had issues.... Now the ones I have done intensive gaming etc that caused a lot of heat.... Different story .

8. kbun thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI..called them and got applecare..! I was polite, honest, and explained my situation (they seemed to understand when I said that I was located overseas at the moment)...anyhow it was surprisingly pretty painless (though being put on hold took ~20 mins).

Hope this helps!

9. salacious macrumors 6502a

That's good info there, I am going to purchase a 13 inch at the end of the month using my cousins HE discount now I noticed that it comes with 3 years technical support and 1 years phone support but with applcare is it only the additional 2 years phone support that I get with it or have I misread this is from the uk appllestore?

10. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Rad, and also you are super lucky. They usually will not bend on Apple Care being purchased past the one year mark. You must have been really nice. :)

11. kbun thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, yes, I was nice :) but I think they seemed to be pretty understanding of the fact that I was located overseas (which they seemed to dwell on). I certainly didn't have to plead.

Also, I ended up purchasing ~12 days out of warranty, which had to be approved by a supervisor. However, it was mentioned to me during my conversation that if it had been fewer days it could have been overridden by a non-supervisor. Certainly does not give me the impression that exceptions do not occur somewhat. Don't despair until you've called Apple!

Salacious, not sure about the higher education warranty. I did some googling and found some threads that are rather outdated. Best to do some research online or better yet - just call Apple outright?

For those interested, I also called Amex to confirm how the warranty worked since I purchased my mac on Amex. I have my one-year warranty, which I extended for 2 more years under applecare, and Amex covers an additional year after that. Hey, if my mac lasts that long, I'd be grateful anyhow..

12. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Yay! I feel soo happy for you.

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

UK HE purchases (online only) get a 3 year warranty and 1 year phone support as standard. Adding the ~£45 for full Applecare gives you 3 years phone support on top of the 3 year warranty you had anyway. See here.

It is against the Apple's T&Cs (and maybe fraud!) for a UK student to purchase a Mac online knowing it is for another. If you buy in store with a student there is no problem (but you will need the Applecare as there is no 3 year warranty in store for free). I'm not telling you what to do (I'm not here to judge), I'm just trying to keep you informed.

14. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I don't think the Student thing exists in Australia :(

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well take some comfort in knowing it's not Australians being picked on, the UK has a special arrangement. :)

It's to do with national contracts with universities (if you are interested, and sad like me, it is mentioned in the thread I linked above). Which is great for us student with 15% off and a free warranty.

16. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

In Portugal Apple is forced to offer a 2 year warranty instead of the normal 1 year, due to a consumer law.

If their is a similar law where you live, try and take advantage of it.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

This is kind of the case across the EU, it's really complex though. If you know what your doing you often don't need to bother with extended warranties in much of the EU.

This isn't the case in the US, consumer laws are much weaker there.

18. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

In Portugal I went to the Apple Service Provider, after 18 months, and the guy there just got me to fill out a form regarding the consumer law warranty. No fuss at all. My Mac was fixed in 2 days.

19. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yeah, the law is there in all EU countries. However, some countries done a better job implementing it than others! It's good Portugal have done well. We have a law in the UK which states products must last a reasonable length of time (max 6 years). However, it is poorly communicated and takes some persistence to get sellers to listen to you sometimes. So EU consumers have good protection laws, but how easy they are to use will vary by country.

20. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The best we get is that the seller has to offer a reasonable amount of time for the product to be returned if faulty.
    Well there are probably some other things but that is the general rule.

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Wow - I'm surprised after my experience. I spoke with several reps, including supers/managers. I was only a bit over one day late. This was maybe as long ago as four years,, though - they certainly could have (must have) relaxed their rules.

I know I painted a bleak picture, though I certainly didn't mean for you not to call.

Glad you did and they came through for you!