Explosive devices sent to George Soros, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, CNN Offices, Others

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tapiture, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Tapiture, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

3. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Idk, Republicans seem more like a mob to me. Trump tweeted a false conspiracy theory about Soros 20 days ago and Matt Gaetz tweeted a conspiracy about him and the “caravan” a few days ago. Inciting an assasination attempt seems more malicious than telling Mitch McConnell to leave a restaurant.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully whoever did this is captured and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

5. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Also did you seriously just link the Shadalson Show, which I’ve never heard of but can assume is some right-wing talk show with 0 journalistic integrity, to support your point that you can see it on “any news channel?” Oh now I see you also linked Fox News and Town Hall, yeah what a parade of conservative hackery.

6. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

We're really arguing over which side is more mob-like now? :rolleyes:

7. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Timothy McVeigh was a registered Democrat. He blew up a building. But on the other hand you’re right, no liberal sent an explosive to the Koch bros.

8. BaldiMac, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

"Angry liberal mob" is just a re-branding of protesters by 45 that his people have bought hook, line, and sinker. The same people who fall for this obvious re-branding are the same people who claim they aren't influenced by facebook ads.

The vast majority of ideological violence in this country is still right wing violence, primarily white supremacists. Not Islamic. Not left wing.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2018 ---
    False. He was a Republican who voted Libertarian in the most recent election. He was an NRA member with strong anti-government beliefs.
    http://www.fampeople.com/cat-timothy-mcveigh_3

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

He was probably registered as a Dem way before all the Right Wing propaganda got to him. This is someone who quit the NRA because he thought their gun rights were too weak. Definitely the complete opposite from the Left's stance.

10. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I just love how the right-wing makes Soros out to be this boogeyman when they have their own financial backers that are, if anything, more corrupting and manipulative. The Koch Brothers are spending $400 million on the mid-terms, dwarfing Soros' $13 million. Not to mention Sheldon Adelson, a huge republican donor that's spending almost $90 million. For whatever reason, the big republican donors aren't as often tied to conspiracy theories and assassination attempts as Soros.

source: http://time.com/5121930/koch-brothers-fall-elections/
    https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/summ.php?disp=D

11. eatrains macrumors 6502

Seems like conservatives are just begging for violence. Sad.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Conservatives have increasingly become skilled at projection. Which means, if a Republican tells you that a guy in the corner steals wallets, you should check the Republican's pockets.

Most of the Tea Party was a big astroturf moment funded by GOP donors, so of course, Republicans think that every social movement must have someone writing checks at the end, and they cannot fathom the idea that people are just genuinely frustrated and angry. Or, so scared of their own country that they'd pack up a few meager belongings and their kids and start marching 1,000 miles north.

And, the fact that we're comparing setting off bombs, i.e. terrorism, as equivalent to someone angrily tossing a Senator's doggy bag on the street is just stupid.

Congressmen and Senators have regularly ignored their constituents, but rather than breeding cynicism, they've bred fury, and people are acting out because that seems to be the only way they can be heard.

Ultimately, I think we're headed in the wrong direction, and we need to figure out how to talk to each other, but so far there's so many bad faith arguments and gaslighting on the right, that I think it's impossible.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I would wait first to see who was responsible. I would not put it past Soros to have a bomb put in his own mailbox just before midterms to keep the Democrats angry :).

Also, who assumes that Soros picks up his own mail or opens anything without having it scanned ? Soros is both rich and probably has better security than the president.
    I guess it all depends on your prospective since I always thought it was the left that was doing it. In any case, I'm sure it's practiced by both sides.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Most of the reports have said "package" which could indicate that the bomb was intended to be brought in and handed to Soros. But, likely the plot was just to scare him.

The view from nowhere is a lousy place to stand. I disagree that "both sides" do it.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No. There is no indication that McVeigh was ever registered as anything but a Republican. It may be that whoever is saying otherwise has been given inaccurate information. I would not like to think that saying he was a Democrat is a deliberate effort to deceive us.

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm sure it was scanned when it arrived and Soros got nowhere near it.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Do we know anything about the person(s) who sent the bomb? If not, it is probably not helpful to speculate about political violence.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Apparently for some, it's too much reality that a conservative (likely) planted the bomb and therefore must start deflecting.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

This thread is ridiculous. Last year a Bernie sanders supporter shot up a congressional baseball game. Violence exists on both sides.
    Then you’re biased. See my post above for all the proof that you need. Both sides have fringe elements that are very violent (antifa and alt right garbage)

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well in recent times there is quite a unhinged mob of liberals swelling before the mid-term elections - especially after the disgusting protests during the Kavanaugh hearing. So when things like this come up people are gleefully holding this up as a counter weight. No one knows who did it, it could be someone who hates Soros or it could be someone wants the appearance of that. So the question now is not if either side can be violent, it which side is more violent.

21. samcraig, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

samcraig macrumors P6

No one is arguing that there isn't violence on both sides. But lately, several conservative posters (and POTUS) have been asserting that Dems are dangerous, mob rule, etc. This thread isn't ridiculous. The violence is.

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yep, that's the problem. If you're going to try to insist that one side is worse than the other, prepare for that argument to fail any time one of "your people" do something like this.

Ultimately I'm not interested in a "who's worse" discussion, which seems to be all many PRSI members can talk about.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Violence absolutely exists on both sides. But right-wing violence is the vast majority of ideological violence in the US. Antifa is a rounding error compared to far-right groups. They are not equivalent.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yeah let's not be the cheering section in the race to the bottom of the barrel, let's instead change the direction of where the finish line is.

25. jerwin macrumors 68020

Did you know that part of the role of the census is to help the government determine who's armed and who's not? If you believe in America's right to bear arms, you should boycott the census. Spread the word!