Exposé just became choppy as all hell

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greg400, Mar 1, 2010.

1. greg400 macrumors 6502

Alright, today i've had two power outages while my iMac was asleep and i've had to turn it on after each outage (yes it was plugged into a surge protector). The second time I turned it on I was greeted with Exposé running as if I was on a G3 with 10MB of RAM and here it is still occurring. I've tried running disk permissions, i've tried restarting again and i've tried looking in my console logs and activity monitor to see if there's anything out of the ordinary running. Nothing found. What makes this even stranger is stacks, dock magnification and minimizing all run as smoothly as they should. So what the hell is going on here? My iMac was perfectly capable of running expose like butter prior to this and now the animation is absolutely terrible. For what it's worth the iMac's specs are in the sig.

I'd rather not have to clean install Snow Leopard for the third time so has anyone else come across this problem before and know of a way to fix it?

2. Queso macrumors G4

If you click on your Spotlight magnifying glass does it say that it is indexing? If so, your Mac will return to normal once it's finished.

3. greg400 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. It's still choppy and I would've noticed if it was doing an index in Activity Monitor. I also tried resetting my PRAM to no avail.

EDIT: Turns out all I had to do was perform a time machine back up and restart. Now Expose is running like butter. No idea why this was the case but my external hard drive shut off during the power outages as well so maybe that has some adverse effect on it. Who knows.

4. Queso macrumors G4

That's bizarre. Glad it's sorted itself out though.