Exposé needs a right-click option...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hayduke, Sep 19, 2007.

1. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Just a thought...

I wish Exposé had a right-click option. Let me explain...

I use Exposé with hot-corners to reveal all of an application's windows or ALL windows. Sometimes, what I would like to be able to do is *bury* a window. I don't want it to be the foremost window, I want to push it back. If you could activate Exposé, highlight the window (as you already do...), but then right click to bring up a drop down menu that revealed options for "Send to back", "shuffle down" (one layer), etc. I would be an even more satisfied Exposé user.

The situation that arises for me is that I have numerous windows open in an application and I want to see a few windows that are behind the foremost window. This requires calling forward each window, when all I really need to do is push the foremost window back.

Thoughts?

2. D.G. macrumors member

Instead of going into Expose, try pressing cmd-`

Does that do what you want? (Try cmd-shift-` if it wasn't right?)

DG

3. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

I already do that a lot too, but it only lets you cycle through the windows within a single application. What I was thinking of, was the ability to essentially hide a single window (push it to the back) rather than bring something to the front.

For example, I've got a bunch of windows open in Photoshop and the foremost window is large and covers the whole screen. I know there are three smaller windows behind it that I would like to see at the same time, but I have to call each one forward, rather than pushing one window to the back. Make sense?

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

why not use hide? usually 'apple + h', but with photoshop i think it's 'control + apple + h'. if i missed, click on photoshop at the top, and come down to hide to see the keyboard shortcut, or just click it.

also useful (for me anyway) is hide others 'option + apple + h' so all the windows behind photoshop disappear.

best of luck

5. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

That works for hiding all of the windows of a single application, but what I essentially want to do is hide (push to the back) one window within an open app. A lá Exposé-->Right Click on target window-->Send to Back.

I'm not so much expecting a solution, but wondering if others see this as useful.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

For me, no. If I really want to get rid of a window, and not bring another one forward, I either close it or push it to the Dock.

7. D.G. macrumors member

See, I'm confused because when I try it that's exactly what cmd-` appears to do for me... pushes the current front window of the current front application, to the back of the current font application.

But if that's not it then, yes I can see it as a useful thing to have. I guess the difference might be that you'd like the current front window to end up behind all other applications, not just the back of the current application?

DG

8. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

You're right, in that it works, if the windows have the right permutation/order. I can take the front most window and push it to the back with cmd-` etc., but sometimes the order of the windows is such that I can push the window I want to the back and have the ones I want to see be in the front.

I get the sense that my right-click option is going to end up in the waste bin. Thanks for the input though.

9. D.G. macrumors member

Oh I get it, the front most window isn't always going to be the one thats in the way, because you can have multiple smaller windows. So the "3rd one back" could be the one actually obscuring what you'd like to see. Makes sense.

DG

10. Reverb macrumors newbie

I have probably misunderstood something here but could you not just minimize the front window?

11. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I'm a day late but still confused...

What do you mean the front window covers the others? I thought that was the point of Expose was to spread all of the windows out so you can see ALL of them at one time...

One programs windows or all windows. Choose and F-Key (or hot corner).

F9, F10 or F11 is all I ever use. Then pick the window you want to work in...

Did I miss something?

Un-confuse me.