Exposé Slower on 10.4??

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
New York
I've noticed that Exposé on Tiger seems much choppier...less fluid like it was on Panther. Anyone else noticing this?

NB: This is not because of Spotlight indexing my hard disk...that was done a while ago.

------------------------
Clean install of 10.4
1GHz PowerBook G4
1GB ram
ATI 9000 64 MB
No external displays connected
Nothing eating up CPU in Activity Monitor/650+ MB of ram free

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Everything seems snappier on my system. Dashboard/Expose both seem to run just fine with everything and its mother running in the background. I'm running an 1GHz, G4 iBook with 768 ram. Nothing fancy but everything is running really well, actually faster than I thought it would. I'm very pleased with the performance but don't see any real benefit beyond spotlight and dashboard. The other 198 features seem pretty meaningless on my system, but I'd pay for the performance update by itself. I'm sorry to hear you are not have the same good fortune with your system.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
Tiger is snappier for me too on my Mac mini 1.42ghz. But reading this thread, I checked out Expose, and yes, it is slightly choppy even though it was smooth on Panther. The genie effect when minimizing windows has also become choppy. Odd. I wonder why?

QFace

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2003
Calgary, AB
I agree... some things are snappier, but exposé is certainly not... it is much choppier. I've noticed it is choppy if I use it while Dashboard is enabled.

Damn you dashboard.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My whole system's running much smoother now apart from Expose. I've got no idea why, but your right, it does seem a little choppier. :( It's not all that bad though, but in Panther it was instant.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
My iMac seemed to be doing the same, just a little on the choppy side for Expose and Genie effect, then I did a restart just for the heck of it, and it is better now. I have no idea why. The scrolling is much smoother then Panther. Very nice.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Interesting...thanks for the posts guys.

People on other forums suspect that it's just a 10.4.0 quartz bug that is affecting our systems, and will probably be resolved soon. I hope that proves to be the answer.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
All Tiger animations were very, very choppy on my eMac. Scrolling webpages, expose, genie animation, even the dock magnify animation was choppy! It was so unbearable I had to go back to Panther. I don't know whats up, but I hope it gets fixed soon :(

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
San Jose, CA
I had a similar problem so I ran Activity Monitor to show all running processes (by default it will show current-user processes) and sorted the list by %CPU. A rogue VShield...<something> process was taxing the CPU (65-85%). Someone posted that all virus checkers fail with Tiger. After killing the process, everything was fine.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I noticed that yesterday. I thought maybe it had to do with Core Image offloading the expose effect to my video card (Nvidia Go 5200)?

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
I was on a Mac mini at the Apple store yesterday, and I noticed that exposé was significanlty more choppy than on my older 1Ghz iMac. But I assumed it was probably because it had a 20" Apple display hooked up to it.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Very odd. I've just sat and pressed my Exposé buttons several times and mine still seems instantaneous and non-choppy. I don't notice any difference between Panther or Tiger's exposé at all. My whole Finder and windows drawing/closing in general seem to be faster.
My graphics card is CI supported and I've got lots of RAM so perhaps that's what's taking care of it.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
my friend who has 10.4 said expose is choppy and slow. I also noticed it at the store last night and today. Mac Minis being the choppiest and slowest. I probably did something as I got a kernel panic while messing around with a Mac mini at the store shhhhhhhh. But it rebooted fine but i walked away after that... :eek:

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I notice no difference at all. In fact, to test it out, I opened all my applications and used expose; it was still perfectly smooth. I don't know what gives. I just have a lowly G4.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Yeah i don't know what gives either...when i have only two or three windows open, expose is fast, but any more than that, it is noticeable choppier...and this never happened with Panther.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
not slow on the computer in my sig, nor when dashboard is up on my desktop either, everything seems a bit quicker here

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Exact same as it was for me in Panther.

I wrote zeros to my hard drive, then Clean Installed Panther, Then iLife 05. If that helps.

on my iBook 1.33 / 768 / Radeon 9200 32 MB

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I wonder if any of this has to do with the moving of Quartz 2D over to the GPU.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hey Hockey :)

Nope, I still don't see any Exposé slow down, but I do see some clunkiness with the login window. My login picture moving to the password phase is not smooth at all.. anyone else notice this?

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
New York
yellow said:
Hey Hockey :)

Nope, I still don't see any Exposé slow down, but I do see some clunkiness with the login window. My login picture moving to the password phase is not smooth at all.. anyone else notice this?
Hey Yellow!...that transition you speak of is fine on my computer...but the expose slow down with more than 2-3 windows is still apparent...hopefully all these things are just bugs, and will be worked out in the first update

Side note: Anyone know after how long the 10.3.1 update was released after the original Panther release?