Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Not sure what happened or when exactly it happened, but expose suddenly became choppy. It doesn't do this on other user accounts and used to work great. I'm sure it's something I installed, but can't figure out what. Here is the system monitor.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I've isolated it to Meteorologist. Not sure why such a tiny program would effect a DP2.0 G5, but it does.

I have uninstalled it and it works fine now.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I am a switcher and this is my first Mac. I can't really compare my G5 to other Macs, but I absolutely love OS X.

I'll never go back to windows and I can't believe it took me this long to wise up.

Originally posted by PowermacG5
What do you think of your G5. I think its still just a computer. Things have gone wrong plenty of times.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Originally posted by amberashby
I am a switcher and this is my first Mac. I can't really compare my G5 to other Macs, but I absolutely love OS X.

I'll never go back to windows and I can't believe it took me this long to wise up.

Welcome to enlightenment!

BIGgui_X_

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2003
exposé chuppy

I have a new DP 1.25, and exposé is choppy ! it is not if i just activate exposé (all windows) and if i stay in the same windo, or app, i was in... but as soon as i select another windows than the one i was in, it's choppy and not smooth at all...
has anyone experienced something like that ? Do i really nead a mor epowerfull CPU of video card to use exposé ? i have a radeon 9000 pro.

thanks

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: exposé chuppy

Originally posted by BIGgui_X_
I have a new DP 1.25, and exposé is choppy ! it is not if i just activate exposé (all windows) and if i stay in the same windo, or app, i was in... but as soon as i select another windows than the one i was in, it's choppy and not smooth at all...
has anyone experienced something like that ? Do i really nead a mor epowerfull CPU of video card to use exposé ? i have a radeon 9000 pro.

thanks

Shouldn't be the graphics card, I am able to use Exposé with no issues on a Rev A tibook with only an ati rage with 8mb of vram.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003

thanks

That is the exact problem that I was having. Do you have any extra software running in the background? Once I quit that weather program everything worked smooth again.

Try creating a "new" clean account and see if it is choppy.

BIGgui_X_

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2003
I reinstalled osX, and it's all working fine for me.... I installed so mutch thing, just to try them, when i got my new dual... :) I was not able to isolate the app that was causing me problems.. it was not any of my login items apps... strange, because, in another account, everything was fine...
I reinstalled 10.31, and did not archive my user and network settings... now everything is so smooth !

thanks

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg

Welcome to the small ray of light, going through the eternal darkness.

:p I didn't know I was poetic :) :rolleyes:

Anna

macrumors regular
May 25, 2003
Australia
It could be due to a finder memory issue and the amount of apps you have open at once. do a top -u in terminal and see the processor use when you activate exposé.

goodluck

BIGgui_X_

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2003
i know that, and it was not due to a CPU intensive task in the background. i really dont know wat it was !!

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Strange.... I really would like to keep Meteorologist running, but that is definitely what is causing my choppiness. Don't really want to do a clean install.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
It's more likely just a conflict in the system with Meteor or some other program. I have a Dual/1.42 and I regularly have over a dozen apps open and multiple windows in each. I have never seen Expose be anything but extremely quick and fluid.

What sort of system installation did you do when you installed Panther? Did you do a clean install or an update install?

So you know I run Meterologist and have no problems with it on Panther. I did have to get rid of Backlight because it made Expose do funky things. Backlight is a GUI for running screen savers as a desktop.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Every time I hear a "switch" story it just warms my heart... its great to see the smart lemmings getting saved before dying a nasty death on the rocks at the bottom of the cliff.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003

thanks

I am betting it has to do with the "nice" settings of some processes being run by other background apps. They arent giving over the processor to expose like they should.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: exposé chuppy

Originally posted by Sunrunner
I am betting it has to do with the "nice" settings of some processes being run by other background apps. They arent giving over the processor to expose like they should.

Sounds like a possibility but I'm thinking it's a system problem of some sort. I need to know what kind of install he did when installing 10.3. If he did an update I can almost guarantee it's a system conflict.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
For me the install was straight from Apple. My G5 came preloaded with Panther.

I don't know why it is but I have had problems in the past with installs done by Apple. I recommend reinstalling you can do an archive install.

Have you repaired your disk permissions?

Something else you can do that is kind of carried on from OS9 is starting up with the shift key down. This will prevent everything but OSX system processes from starting up. It will at least eliminate the possibility that it was something you installed.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Choppy Expose again :-( . Not running Meteorologist and it's still choppy. 1 program shows stuck in Terminal Top. Could this be the problem. I've attached the top results. Thanks.

Attachments

• saved terminal output.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 179

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
osx is a monster of an os and slows down a bit over time. when first installed it is somewhat snappy but within a few days apps take twice as long to open, expose slows down, everything just slows. its just part of being an osx user I guess..

even though I love osx and would never go back to 9 I must say that since it is unix based its pretty pathetic how much hardware power it needs. unix is an os that before osx was always known to make any older system operate much faster just like linux as they both draw far less juice from your system than a typical windows or mac os. apple needs to work out the hardware draining issues in osx and make it a true unix operating system. although with each release of osx it has gotten a bit faster it is still not near enough of a boost. its not right to have an os that needs the best hardware money can buy to run smoothly.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I have a problem with Exposé too. When I have five safari windows, 2 pshop, 3 illustrator, 2 ID, iTunes, iPhoto, ical + other apps runnign in bkground and hidden it gets a bit choppy.

Really, I have no problem with expose and my system is not that old but it was not then and is not now the best money can buy.

be careful with your statements please. They are almost anti-apple/mac

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
i'm in no way anti apple/mac. I just don't think its right to have to have the best hardware to get a smooth operation from your os. its logic and being fair to consumers not anti anything. I love macs.

i'm sure others would agree with me?

technology will only be availible to those with large bank accounts if things keep going the way they are.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I don't think my problem is due to inadequate hardware. I'm running a Dual 2.0 with 1.5 Gigs of ram. I can have all but 2 programs closed and if I use Expose and switch from 1 window to another it is choppy. Not that bad, but it used to be perfectly smooth. I'm thinking something that is running is causing a conflict so that is why I posted the "top" results. Anyone see anything in it that is out of the ordinary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.