Extend iTunes Movie Rentals 24 hour period!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ilikemonkeys, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ilikemonkeys macrumors newbie

Okay so I know that when you change the system time during the 24 hour period the video dosen't play. Well I'm moving today and I had to change the time zone while the movie was playing. But it still worked! I tried it with other time zones and the movies still play!!! Could anyone else verify?

2. Nickr1313 macrumors regular

Nickr1313

thats really cool but it sorta sounds illeagel, lol.

3. Pippen Man macrumors regular

No offense, but MacRumors should delete this thread immediately. If word gets out about this, firmware 1.1.4 will be on our doorstep tomorrow to clean up that "bug." And then, they'll charge us $20 to get the new, I dunno, CALCULATOR.app! :)

4. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I read that as long as you don't close the movie on your iPod or iPhone you can still finish it after the 24 hours are up.

I don't know if that means you can't leave the Videos app or if it just means you can't open a different video or what. Or if it applies to playback in iTunes or Quicktime.

Anyone tried?

5. BassistKing1 macrumors member

wow.. why would apple care if u kept a movie rented for a bit longer? seriously.. the latest u can do is maybe a day longer, and its not really "illeagel" (lol)

have you tried changing your ipods clock and the date? :D

6. MurphyM macrumors 6502

The real question here: Why did the studios insist on this? 24 hours is clearly too short. You start a movie at 9pm and go to bed at 10. You have to watch that other hour before 9pm the next night? That's annoying.

What do they think they've gained here? Would extending it to 48 or 72 hours really hurt them? I don't see how.

It would be really cool if there were an option to convert a rental to a purchase too.

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

actaully ive seen several mac sites post about this including maclife they said as long as you have the movie and you dont play it till the timer from start to end hits 0:00 you have that 30 day period to play the movie