Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
I am interested in getting an external battery for my iPhone, and soon hopefully my iPad. I've looked at some on Amazon and it seems they're either $50+ or awful. If anyone could give suggestions on some that would be great! They don't need to be from Amazon or anything but more than $50 is a little much for my liking...

[edit]
I would rather these not be in a case either, so I can use them for an iPad or any other handheld device!

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
New Trent

New Trent iCarrier 12,000mAh

I got this as a Christmas present last year and it's worked great for me. It has two ports and charges both my iPad & my iPhone perfectly. When fully charged, it can re-charge my iPhone from dead to 100% about three or four times before needing to be charged up itself.

Another company you could look at also is Anker. I haven't had one of theirs personally but I've read good reviews.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
New Trent iCarrier 12,000mAh

I got this as a Christmas present last year and it's worked great for me. It has two ports and charges both my iPad & my iPhone perfectly. When fully charged, it can re-charge my iPhone from dead to 100% about three or four times before needing to be charged up itself.

Another company you could look at also is Anker. I haven't had one of theirs personally but I've read good reviews.

Oh wow I haven't even seen that one before, surprisingly. Although I do have a question, does it seem sluggish to charge the device? I was thinking about getting one of the Anker ones but reviews said it took forever to charge anything, which seems like it could get annoying if I am on campus and needing a quick charge!

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Oh wow I haven't even seen that one before, surprisingly. Although I do have a question, does it seem sluggish to charge the device? I was thinking about getting one of the Anker ones but reviews said it took forever to charge anything, which seems like it could get annoying if I am on campus and needing a quick charge!
I can't speak for anything Anker but the New Trent is about on par with the AC adapter or charging via my MacBook.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
External Batteries?

Op this one would be great for charging a tablet and a smartphone:
EC TECHNOLOGY New 22400mAh Portable Ultra-high Density External Battery Pack Backup Charger For iPhone 5S 5C 5 (Lightning Adapter Not Included), 4S, 4, iPad Air, Retina iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 S4Mini I9190, S3 I9300 S3Mini I8190, S2, Note 3 N9000, Galaxy Gear, HTC Sensation One X S EVO 3D 4G DNA Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA, Google Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, LG Optimus V, Blackberry Z10 Bold Curve Torch, Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Bionic ATRIX, Sony Xperia Z Z1, Nokia Lumia 1020 920, Google Glasses, Also Compatible With All Other Cell Phones And Tablets(Dimension: 6.29" x 3.14" x 0.86" Inch)- 12-Month Warranty
http://amzn.com/B00FDK2G2C

I also highly recommend Anker.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to compare all of them side to side since I'm not familiar with any of them or the brands!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Books are heavy and bulky enough, not sure you want to add another relatively heavy gadget to that backpack is worth it vs finding an outlet on campus.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
You can always ask us if you have any questions. Any decisions?

I haven't committed to one yet...I just can't get myself to spend the 40-50 bucks on one! I'm thinking of one that doesn't have the two usb ports though because I really won't need two at a time even with having an iPad and iPhone. Might just make sure my Macbook is charged up enough to charge whatever when I am at school like I do now!

Books are heavy and bulky enough, not sure you want to add another relatively heavy gadget to that backpack is worth it vs finding an outlet on campus.

I rarely carry textbooks around campus, either because we don't actively use them in class or I find a free copy online, so the extra weight isn't a problem for me! Campus does have plenty of outlets but I also would use this on road trips and what not outside of school too since I don't feel the need to buy a car charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.