Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

External drive beach ball on a Thunderbolt Dock using USB C Data 10gb Port

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
External drive beach ball on a Thunderbolt Dock using USB C Data 10gb Port
My origanal enclosure is SSK which was working fine ,i just fanced getting a tool free one.
I got the tool Free drive Sabrent it worked for a short time and the ball started and came up with a crash report about the Pci, i am wondering if it is to do with keeping on taking the 2M SSD in and out of the drives.?
When using an external drive on a Thunderbolt 3 Dock on the 10gb USB C Data after awhile i got the spinning ball i can,t do anything but the radio station i was listening on there at the time was still working .
I have used that connection before with no problems
Or is it a problem with the Caldight Thunderbolt dock it is the latest one.I have no way of testing the USBC 10GB PORT because the only thing i use with USB C is the mentioned drive.The other ports on the dock are working fine.When it first happened the computer went off and back on the internal drive.

Last edited:

joevt

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2012
I have a toolless Plugable USB-C to NVMe enclosure. I dropped it recently and it stopped working. I opened it up and noticed that the NVMe became unseated because the rubber pin could not keep it in place after a drop. I reseated the NVMe to get it working again.
I believe the Sabrent uses a metal pin to keep the NVMe in place so it shouldn't be a problem.

Can you link the enclosures you tried (to be sure we're looking at the right one)?

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have a toolless Plugable USB-C to NVMe enclosure. I dropped it recently and it stopped working. I opened it up and noticed that the NVMe became unseated because the rubber pin could not keep it in place after a drop. I reseated the NVMe to get it working again.
I believe the Sabrent uses a metal pin to keep the NVMe in place so it shouldn't be a problem.

Can you link the enclosures you tried (to be sure we're looking at the right one)?
Here it is
the USB 3,2 it,s a well made device but i could not get it working properly. I am sending it back. I am back with my old one which has never given my any problems. Here is a video for it.
I don,t know why the Sabrent would not work.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
it worked with the T5 for about four hours, i went on UTUBE thats when the problem started it would not play anything it said there was an errer.Then the dock disappeared
The T5 stopped blinking.As i said at the begging of the post all the other ports work on the dock.I have got in touch with Caldight for them to look at it.I don,t know how that is going to pan out. Unless they use an external drive for a number of hours they want know.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I got this quick reply from Caldight
I have spoken with our support team and they have confirmed that the T5 isn't compatible with Thunderbolt 3 docks using the USB-C 3.2. Gen 2 port. In testing they are finding that the problem is not limited to the CalDigit Docks but all Thunderbolt Docks when the T5 is connected USB-C 3.2. Gen 2 port. Our engineers have so far not been able to locate what is causing the issue with the T5 drive.
It's suspected that it's a firmware issue on the T5 but not been confirmed.
Replacing the dock will unfortunately have no affect on the use with the T5.
Meanwhile i have been using it on the USB-C 3.2. Gen 2 port port for ten hours now. how long before i get the spinning beach ballo_OI don,t know why Caldight don,t say ir might not work with certain drives?o_OIs any one using a T5 drive wirg rge Caldight drive in the USB-C 3.2. Gen 2 port?
What do you think of all this?It must have been the reason for the Savrent drive not working on there.
This morning i used it for four hours untel the beach ball turned up :(So i want be using that connection for the T5.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.