Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

External drives on Windows

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Why is it that every external drive fails to install on Windows? they start off delivering then they stop the light goes out altogether? Is it because Windows is a crap system? I know that it is inferior to Mac OS I tend to think it is, it takes so long to load it. I have no problems with Mac OS. I just wish I had got an iMac with a bigger drive, If I got a bigger drive installed I take it the internal SSD would have to be removed?. Plus the fact that it id such a big job to do it I should think it would cost about 200 pounds to do it even if I was to supply the drive, I live in the UK. It is the 2017 5k iMac.
One time I got the message* Driver DMA VIOLATION*and at other times it says it is trying to repair when I have taken the driver of the computer? I had no problem with my 2012 Mac MINI to get am external drive on there. How reliable are external 2 M drives? And the T5 SSD I had no problem with the T5 I used it on the Mac Mini. I am very disappointed with my iMac.I need the Windows drive to play games, the internal drive is only 256. I have tried all of the options the VM.S and Rufus but the same problems.UK people on here how much would it cost to get a bigger 2m drive fitted? And if there is anyone in London who would do it for a reasonable price? I know that is a long shot. And to all this even the Bootcamp on the internal drive isn,t working.:(

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
I have used Hasleo's WinToUSB to install Windows 10 on an external USB3 SSD with no problems.

I tried to run Win 10 on my internal 2 Tbyte Fusion drive but it was too slow. This is because Bootcamp only partitions the spinning platter part of the Fusion Drive and you don't get any of the benefit of the SSD part.

If you have problems with Win 10 running on an external USB3 SSD like your Samsung T5, then I would be getting the USB ports of the computer looked at.

If you want a bigger external drive for your iMac, then couple it with a 120 Gbyte or so SSD and make an external Fusion drive, but that is only for the Mac OS. Windows doesn't know about Fusion drives. I have actually done this with an old 2Tbyte USB 2 HDD and a 120 Gb SSD, and was surprised at how well it worked.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have used Hasleo's WinToUSB to install Windows 10 on an external USB3 SSD with no problems.

I tried to run Win 10 on my internal 2 Tbyte Fusion drive but it was too slow. This is because Bootcamp only partitions the spinning platter part of the Fusion Drive and you don't get any of the benefit of the SSD part.

If you have problems with Win 10 running on an external USB3 SSD like your Samsung T5, then I would be getting the USB ports of the computer looked at.

If you want a bigger external drive for your iMac, then couple it with a 120 Gbyte or so SSD and make an external Fusion drive, but that is only for the Mac OS. Windows doesn't know about Fusion drives. I have actually done this with an old 2Tbyte USB 2 HDD and a 120 Gb SSD, and was surprised at how well it worked.
I have no problems with Mac OS on external drive on the USB ports.
Windows takes so long to set up and running as you know.
Windows on an external drive it suddenly stops blinking.:(i have tried the Automatic Repair which stuck at 1%:( the drive was blinking all the time i left it for some time and it was still at 1%?I use the win to usb with VMWARE FUSION. I did not have the problem until i updated the drivers ,before when i could not get any sound on the internal speakers
i can only think that the updated drivers must be the problem thats not good.:(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.