Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildk9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
Hi, new here and long time Mac user. I have an iBook G3, 800 MHz, with 640 Mb of Ram and a 30 gig hard drive (16 gig available). I have an 80 gig external HD with 70 gig available. I am running OS 10.2.8 and have all the latest upgrades for my computer and software. I also have Altec Lansing speakers, an Olympus 4 megapixel digital camera and Airport Extreme base station with an Airport card in the iBook. I've suffered one Logic Board failure, otherwise there have been few issues with the iBook. I purchased most everything almost two years ago.

My question is simply this. I want to make DVD's from a new MiniDV camcorder I am going to get after Christmas and was wondering if an external DVD burner will work on a G3 with 800 MHz. I'm not expecting it to zoom along but if it is going to waste half my DVD's just trying to burn one and crap out all the time I won't bother. I've decided (after doing some looking here and at the local Mac dealers) to purchase a Lacie DVD Burner. It will be Firewire and double-sided. I am not going to get a new computer just to accommodate the MiniDV. I would in fact get a DVD recorder that goes straight from the MiniDV to the DVD recorder if the Mac route proves useless. Unfortunately this would negate doing editing and adding music. I also want to create DVD's from photos I've collected and send them to my parents who are far far away. I want to add music and make a nice presentation. So simply put, will the iBook I have described above cut the mustard?

Thanks for the info.

wildk9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
ChrisFromCanada said:
Your ibook will be fine for burning. You are going to need "PatchBurn II" When you get the burner. And you probably mean dual layered not double sided.
Correct you are. I got Patchburn II from another thread here, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.