External Fat32 disks no longer visible on 2 networked 10.6.8 Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tokyoshawn, Sep 23, 2012.

1. tokyoshawn macrumors newbie

I have 2 networked Macs - a MacBook Pro (2.53Ghz Core Duo) and an iMac 2.8Ghz i7 both running 10.6.8 which up until today had been happily networked (direct connection via ethernet cable). The iMac has 3 external disks (2 X Fat 32, and 1 X Mac OS Extended - Journaled) connected to it. Normally all disks were able to be seen & read & written by both computers. The laptop also runs XP on Parallels which also had no trouble accessing and reading/writing. (But now it can't see them either)

However for the past couple of days the 2 Fat32 disks connected to the iMac have dissappeared and cannot be accessed by the laptop over the network. The disks are mounted and working fine, and can be used normally by the iMac. The iMac can be found and accessed by the laptop via 'Shared' locations in Finder, and by Connecting using 'Go' > 'Connect to Server'. HOWEVER, in both these cases the external disks do not show up. The desktop, public folder, Documents folder, AND the Mac OS Extended External HDD do show up).

I have checked the permissions on both disks and they show that everyone can read and write BUT that info is greyed out - and I cannot access it to change/alter/update/reset. I thought this may be the cause, so I even just downloaded 'FileXaminer' after hours of forum searching around this problem - but that has been unable to help. I tried using Terminal and apply the steps mentioned HERE, but still no good.

PLEASE - can anyone help me figure this out??

Here's a screen cap of the info:

Attached Files:

2. tokyoshawn thread starter macrumors newbie

I should also mention...

In addition, if I disconnect the 2 Fat32 disks from the iMac and connect them to the laptop, and then try to access them via the network - same problem - the iMac cannot see the disks that are now connected to the the laptop. (but the laptop mounts them fine and they can be used as normal).

This leads me to think the problem is with some settings in the disks (but no idea how they can BOTH be affected at the same time by coincidence??) - or there is something in a recent osx update that has caused the issue...

I really don't know...