external firewire hard drive problems

garzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
hey

i just got a lacie 40gb pocketdrive. i need to use it on both pcs and macs. i formatted it on a pc running xp. today i tried to use it on an emac and got the message "This disk is unreadable, do you want to initialize" Do I have to reformat the drive everytime I cross platforms??? any help is much appreciated

thanks

garzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
i used NFTS because it newer. this emac was running classic. im at school now and none of the macs here run OSX :(

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe there is an extension for OS9 to enable NTFS volumes??

This is what I found on Apple's support site about OS9:

"It is only possible to read FAT and FAT32 formatted drives in a Macintosh. Do Not use NTFS formatted drives in a Macintosh computer."

SOL

garzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
wow thanks for the info zarathustra

i found that support page and it said
do not use a NTFS with a macintosh computer. i dont think it matters what OS your using

i guess ill just have to reformat to FAT32 so i can use it in classic, OSX, and XP

what are the limitations of FAT32?

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
I could have sworn that I have used NTFS volumes with my PowerBook using OSX before...

Anywho, the few negatives of FAT32 are (compared to NTFS) - no per user permissions and larger block size. Other than that, almost every X86 machine will be able to read a FAT32, compared to Win2000/XP (NT4??) compatibility for NTFS (I think *scratches head*).

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i got a new external hard drive too..how do i reformat it?...i checked in the disc utility...do i just press erase??

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Ok, if you do some kernel hacking, Unix can (and linux) read NTFS systems and there is beta support for a write to NTFS systems but it is very buggy. Apple only has support for FAT file systems right now so your going to have to use that.