Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
My previous drive kit of 3 years just bit the dust (ADStech) and was looking for another kit to purchase. Must be Firewire and at least accept my old 120GB 3.5" drive. Other than that anything goes. Thanks.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
homerjward said:
i just got a venus ds3 for a 300gb drive and it's great. usb2+firewire 400. tad expensive though.

review and pics here

Meh, paid $100 for this drive kit 3 years ago so $57 sounds plenty reasonable.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Here are a few that I've been considering (in this order):

If you have a PowerMac G5, here's a nice one from Rosewill.

This one's from Macally.

And finally, this one's from Bytecc.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The rosewell is nice. I bought a Compusa branded usb 2.0 one and it sucks so hard it makes my head spin. I ended up getting a lacie and using the 80 gig in another windows machine. It'll get better use. The thing wouldn't recognize on any machine without turning it off and on at least a half dozen times. Talk about annoying!

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I think the Macally it'll be. Good price and not shoddy looking like the Bytecc. Thanks.

The deciding factor was that the macally has 2 full size fw ports while the venus has a mini-fw and 1 full fw

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
dealsonic

http://www.dealsonic.com has some pretty good enclosures at a good price too. After some research into external enclosures I bought one from them for my Hitachi 160GB HDD and I've been quite happy with it (it has two fans, for better cooling and more peace of mind). :)

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Ok, here's the outcome. I am a bit saddened by the lack of an on/off switch which I wouldn't mind it being plugged in 24/7 if it had fans on it. However, I felt I made a good purchase and I hope it'll last more than the 3 years my previous case brought me.

Attachments

• DCP_3290.JPG
    DCP_3290.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DCP_3292.JPG
    DCP_3292.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 64

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Fanless is the way to go. I have an external enclosure that hugs the HD tightly, so the heat passes from the HD to the exterior aluminum finish. It gets hot at times, but a power switch really isn't needed.

You can always unmount the FW drive if you don't need it for extended periods. And use Disk Utility to re-mount them.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
yeah, it's mainly just a backup drive. I've had a few pictures what I accidentally deleted from iPhoto and when I went to retrieve the backups my external drive wouldn't power up. So I got the photo back and made another backup. Other than that I don't leave it connected for long.I have a separate 60GB drive that I use for CD backup and I don't need a power-supply for it so I take that one on trips so I don't need my CD wallet.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
7on said:
Ok, here's the outcome. I am a bit saddened by the lack of an on/off switch which I wouldn't mind it being plugged in 24/7 if it had fans on it. However, I felt I made a good purchase and I hope it'll last more than the 3 years my previous case brought me.

Weird. Some of the reviewers on Newegg said theirs had an On/Off switch. Guess it's hit or miss. Was leaning towards the Macalley case, but it looks like I'm gonna have to get the Rosewill case instead now because I really want an On/Off switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.