external hard drive for live video mixing and music production

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by threezero, Mar 10, 2015.

1. threezero macrumors 6502

hey guys. I' looking to add an external HD to my collection and am looking for some advice amiss the sea of available hdd.

this is for a first gen macbook pro retina 15 inch. i already have an internal storage of 750gb and at the moment its at half capacity full. i could continue to put my files on the internal hard drive but i rather start storing stuff on an external hard drive i hate it when my internal drive get to a point where i have to delete stuff to make it ran smoothly.

what i use the laptop for:

live video mash aka vjing and video mapping using resolume. right now i have all my visuals on the internal drive and sometimes it still stutters when i overlap several videos but that could just be due to certain files not being in the optimize format.

the other thing i use it for is music productions, i do live sound for a living and now i'm starting to dabble in post production and music making. i am seriously comteplating buying the komplete 10 ultimate if i do i would like it to live solely in the external hard drive along with related audio stuff.

looking at something thats at least 1tb ssd and the most importantly most be robust and can take a beating on the road. would like to keep it under $300 though. any suggestions?

2. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

my 2 pence worth.....

I have the Lacie thunderbolt rugged drive. Seems very good. "drop proof" for up to 2m, dust and splash proof. Guess the price will depend on the actual disk you go for. I went for a standard 2Tb HDD, so the disk isn't the quickest, but the thunderbolt connection seems quick, am sure those techno savvy people will disagree. But for price/storage/robustness it was the best option for me.