external hard drive locked and corrupt? after time machine run

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stickinsect, Sep 3, 2009.

1. stickinsect macrumors newbie

Please I hope someone can help, I have a 500 GB IOMEGA HD (formatted GUID as per instructions) attached to intel core duo mac, which until yesterday only held iphoto library and itunes library- and was working ok. Yesterday upgraded to Snow Leopard and on finishing install asked if I wanted to use external drive for time machine. Didn't really think about it and said yes - now when I open imac says there is a problem with external drive which cannot be repaired. I can see iphoto library on HD and also itunes library and backup. However the drive padlock is closed, the sharing and permissions are read and write. When I try to copy my iphoto library to a disk to save it gives the following error message could not scan "volumes/external Drive/iphoto library/metadata backup/photos/00.......

Is there any way I can save my photos or do I need to visit the apple store?

I hope someone can help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. stickinsect thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's mac OS extended capacity 499.76GB used 177.43GB

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Open Disk Utility, select the drive, and click Repair Disk.

5. stickinsect thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that and unfortunately it tells me it can't repair. Would it help if I post the error messages?

6. stickinsect thread starter macrumors newbie

It tells me keys are out of order and the disk needs to be repaired when i ask it to repair i get the message - rebuilding catalogue btree then it fails. It asks me to back up as many files as possible, but I can't back anything up either as when I insert a disk to burn iphoto I get the error in the first thread..

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try rebooting to your computer's restore disks and repairing from Disk Utility there. (Under the Utilities menu.)

8. stickinsect thread starter macrumors newbie

after asking my daughter what she did during upgrade think it might have something to do with iphoto...she cancelled out of the face recognition of her iphoto library....

can you let me know easily in steps please how to boot to restore disks as mentioned below?? I am a complete novice.

Itunes still working okay and it's library is on the external drive too.