External hard drive; partition and use for Time Machine and iPhoto via Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slipper, Apr 21, 2016.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I know this is probably a cinch for most people here but i just want to confirm if my series of events will be correct. I just bought a WD My Book 4TB to back up via Time Machine on my Airport Extreme. But before i do that, i want to partition half to for backups with Time Machine and the other half to store my iPhoto pics. Would i 1) partition the external while wired directly to my computer, 2) transfer my iPhoto library to the appropriate partition, 3) disconnect from computer and 4) connect to my Airport Extreme and find the correct partition for Time Machine and correct partition for iPhoto? Or would i instead do everything from start to finish while connected to the Airport Extreme? Thanks

2. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What is going to back up your Photos? This a rhetorical question.
    When the MyBook dies, you lose your backup AND your pictures.
    For backup you need (at least) 2 copies on separate media.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

You can't do anything on the AirPort Extreme except mount the drives you have already formatted. Do everything on the computer first. That's what I did.

4. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Good point on redundant backups and that's what I thought, do everything on the computer first, then connect to the Airport Extreme