External Monitor and Retina Pro (and one browser question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 3, 2013.

1. lcjjdnh macrumors newbie

So I just picked up my new 15-inch base Retina yesterday. Pretty awesome machine. Glad I got it. Two questions, though:

1) Are there are detrimental effects from running an external monitor? In other words, will the display on the Retina stay the same even I've hooked up the extra device (I do not have screen mirroring on). Will it slow down performance at all? And if the answer to yes is either, does the Retina recognize once I unplug the external device to revert to its default settings?

2) Is it just me, or is Safari noticeably faster/better looking than Chrome?

2. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

These machines will not break down if you plug in a external monitor to it. If you plug the MBP into a external monitor, the monitor acts as a additional desktop. See System preferences > displays to see options of what you can do with it hooked up. What most people do is hook up the MBP to the monitor, close the lid, and the desktop is displayed on the monitor.
    You may have some scaling issues when you open up the MBP again (i.e. some windows are bigger etc).

Safari seems much better then Chrome in Mavericks IMO.