External monitor and "Sleep" with FR question.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hardercore, Jul 1, 2007.

1. hardercore macrumors newbie

I have a quick question about external monitors and the Apple Remote for Front Row before I make my purchase. Say you have your laptop hooked in clamshell mode to a big external display, and you are watching TV shows or something from your bed using the Front Row remote. When you're done, you can hold the Play/Pause button on the remote to sleep your computer. Will this also sleep the display as well, or is that something that only Apple's ACD's will let you do? I can't really imagine anything more frustrating that having to get up out of bed to turn the monitor off after using Front Row, when the point is to be able to control it from across the room.

2. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

yep! works fine with me.

Hmmm I guess it depends on the monitor... I have a Sony SDM, and it does go off, then lights up for about 20 seconds then fully goes off.. but the power light is still on.

I'm also interested in details of the ACD's performance with this!

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no im afraid that the monitor wont be turned off, im not even sure if this happens with apple monitors, but i dont have one. you could have a long stick to poke at the monitor power button?? haha or just leave it on, doesnt it go to a black screen??? mine does neways....so i rarely turn it off

4. hardercore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm hoping to hear from peoples with ACDs as well whether sleeping the computer with the :apple: remote also sleeps their ACD. Or whether there's some way to set the display to sleep whenever computer sleeps in system preferences?

5. hardercore thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody uses a lid-closed MB/MBP with an external display and Front Row? Guys, It takes about two seconds to drop a line about how your monitor behaves when you sleep the computer withe the remote. I'd really appreciate any info you can give me. I'm looking to buy a monitor soon and if the ACD does it but third party monitors don't, then that may be a deciding factor in choosing the ACD over others.

6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

my display goes off after holding the play button for about 5 seconds! its a sony 19" SDM

7. adav macrumors member

the external monitor goes to a 'standby' setting. its not fully off, but the screen is off and in power saving mode.

8. hardercore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you! adav, ACD or 3rd party?

9. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

My Sony monitor goes to sleep

My Sony SDM 23" monitor goes to sleep when it doesn't recieve any signal from my macbook then wakes up again the moment it does
    I didn't have to use any other software for it to do that. I don't know any monitor that doesn't go into power save mode once doesn't detect any input to it.