External monitor & cable for Late 2010 MBA 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Meric, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Meric macrumors regular

hello there,

I wanna get an external monitor for my Late 2010 MBA 13" ( core 2 duo, 1.86 model ) and was wondering which monitor I should get and use with which cable.

Some say it only gives the 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 resolution with the expsensive dual link DVI cable.

Is there anyway to get that resolution with a 10-15 bucks cable? Not the 100 bucks dual link one?

Any mini displayport - hdmi cables can display that resolution?

Also does the MBA runs slower/heats up more /fans never stop spinning with an external monitor and high resolution in clamshell mode?

Any suggestions for a good/not very pricey 2560x monitor?

I kinda like the Acer 25" G257HU, it is 259 bucks at amazon.

Thanks.

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Get a monitor with a DisplayPort or MiniDisplayPort input and then use the appropriate cable:

e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable/dp/B002XVYZ82

...looks like the Acer you mention has a DisplayPort input.

Some monitors, when used with HDMI or DisplayPort on a mac, give a horrible fuzzy display (you'll know if you have the problem - blocky 'ghosting' around the text). The fix is fairly simple - download a script, run the script to generate a file, copy file to correct place in the Library. (Script here, instructions here)