External Monitor Connections on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmastudent, Dec 10, 2009.

1. bmastudent macrumors member

Hi,

I just picked up a monitor with HDMI, VGA, DVI, Displayport connectors. What's the best way to connect the MBP to it? There are already VGA, DVI, and Displayport cables included with the monitor. I also occasionally connect my MBP to projectors. Would there be any advantage to getting a mini display port to display port cable or or would i get the same quality image through a mini displayport to dvi connector which I could conceivably also use with the projector.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Depends on the monitor size you're wanting to drive. Displayport and miniDisplayport interfaces have much more bandwidth than DVI and HDMI, so can drive a bigger or higher-resolution display. This of course makes it more future-proof. Displayport, like HDMI, also incorporates the sound channel into the same cable for less clutter.

However, go with the DVI for the moment if it's more versatile for you. The video signal is pure digital in both so there's no difference in the picture quality. DVI is also pretty universal at the moment so you'll find a lot more equipment supports it if you carry the MBP around.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I use DVI most of the time. Depends on what I'm connecting to.

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Unless it's a 30" 2560x1600 display, go with DVI.

5. bmastudent thread starter macrumors member

Is there even any advantage in connecting through displayport? The mini displayport doesn't support audio anyways.

6. johnnj macrumors 6502a

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

if you don't need audio in your monitor, go with displayport. It's the thinnest cable and since your monitor has an input it's pretty much ideal.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

Only with 30" displays, since the Apple Dual Link DVI adapter doesn't work well and mini-DP to Displayport works just fine.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A really nice advantage of Displayport on Notebooks comes with the next revision. It allows you to daisy chain multiple Displays like harddrives on a firewire port.
    Since most notebooks have only one external output (if you don't count analog) that is nice feature for some people. Probably not many.