External monitor/display with rMBP 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toki37611, Nov 12, 2014.

1. toki37611 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a relative newbie in the world of Apple computers. I bought my first Macbook (Macbook Air 13) 15 months ago and was immediately impressed by its usability and robustness. Having been a PC user all my life and after experiencing numerous Windows/hard-disk crashes in the last 10-15 years with my Lenovo computers, this was a refreshing change for me!

Subsequently, just 2 months ago, I bought the new retina Macbook Pro 15 with the hope of using this as my main work machine along (i do a fair bit of statistical data processing and web programming) with an external display as an additional screen. I love the rMBP so far but was deeply disappointed when Apple did not introduce a new Thunderbolt Display to update their rather outdated 2011 model along with their October announcements. Since then, I have been doing much research into different display possibilities, including a slew of brands/models such as those of Dell, Sharp, LG, and ASUS including many 4K options. However, it seems that many of the existing 4K models still have compatibility issues with the rMBP (sleep-and-wake issue, bleeding, etc.) besides the fact that prices are still rather steep. All things considered, it seems that I may have no choice but to settle for the ATD for the time being and upgrade to any new 5K models that Apple has been rumoured to be introducing in a year or two.

My question is: should I just go for the ATD then, or should I be looking at some other models (4K or non-4K) more seriously?

Any advice would be most helpful! Thanks!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I have a Thunderbolt at work and the previous cinema display at home. Both are great. Screen is great, speaker is decent, hub/charging functions work well. No complaints.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I recently switch from rMBP & iMac to rMBP & Thunderbolt Display - loving it! The display is good enough for me.

4. tech.felipe macrumors newbie

I'm using a Dell U2415 via thunderbolt -> DisplayPort @ 1920x1200 in clamshell mode.

Awesome results. Fast response, sharp fonts.

Couldn't be more satisfied.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

There are some new 4K models coming along that should be better. IPS at much lower prices, and SST rather than MST will hopefully help compatibility.

Maybe get a reasonable but cheaper model to last you until then. You might even get back most of your money if you buy second-hand.

6. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i probably wouldn't buy a new one today. A used one for the right price should hold you over until then. For reference I bought my TB as an open box from BB over 3 years ago (back when they were actually good deals) for 781..but I probably wouldn't buy if for that price today.

7. toki37611 thread starter macrumors newbie