External Monitor for 13" Air for Photography

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by misterneums, Aug 11, 2011.

1. misterneums macrumors 6502

I apologize in advance if this post should be in a different forum; I'm posting here because I've found the majority of the regulars here on the Air forums are not only smart and informed in most/all things Apple, but that there is also a contingent of photographers and I'm looking for some informed opinions here.

I am looking at replacing one of my monitors with a monitor that will be more photographer friendly. I realize that there are certain things that need to be done--such as hardware calibration of screens. That being said, my monitors I have currently are a 23.6" Asus LCD, and two 19" 4:3's that I've picked up for cheap over the years (they are both 5+ year's old.)

I've done some research and the overwhelming consensus is that IPS screens seem to be the best for photo work. I know that the Apple Cinema/Thunderbolt displays are IPS and are very good (and very expensive.) So I guess what I am really trying to ask is, what monitor do you photographers use and how do you feel about them?

Thank you and I look forward to your answers!

2. Adgeman macrumors member

3. PaulWog Suspended

Apparently the Dell IPS screens are a slight step above Apple's IPS screens. That's what I've read in reviews.

Honestly though @OP: I'd say any Dell or Apple IPS screen (I think Viewsonic is good too) would be fine. Just look up a review via google (and look at CNet, consumer reports, and other reviews) and get an idea for any screens you're looking at. Simply make sure the screen is IPS. If you want to go for something cheaper, a VA panel is slightly better than TN but still worse than IPS, but they're rare (BenQ just released a new 27-inch VA panel monitor).

4. egi macrumors newbie

I do web design and use Dell U2311H and abosulutely love it. you can't go wrong choosing any of the Dell Uxxxx series monitors. the 23" one costs really cheap now, got it for ~240$ here in Europe.

5. skinnfell macrumors newbie

Photographers

Hello there

I have a 24" Eizo ColorEdge CG241W. Its a few years old but I love it, but then again its a pricey beast, almost twice as much as the base MBA.

I also have a fairly new Hewlett packard HPLP2465 ,and it is a P-O-S.
    (then again what do you expect for 149.99)

My best friend (also a professional photographer) has the cheaper Eizo FlexScan, cant remember the model, with his MBP and he loves that too.

My recommendation, save up for a Eizo, even if its a smaller entry-level one, you will not regret it. (But do calibrate it!)

6. ro050408 macrumors newbie

I use a 27" Dell calibrated monitor for all of my photography work. I would never purchase any Apple monitors since I have read too many bad reviews regarding their use in graphic/photography. The glossy screen on the Apple's makes it even worse.

7. Philalbe macrumors 6502

Hi. I'm a freelance graphic designer with a 13" MBA. I currently have an Acer external display. It's kind of a low end monitor but the image quality is pretty good (supposedly HD ready). It's the age old problem of color calibration that drives me crazy. Even after calibrating the monitor with my Air, there is still a significant difference in color. I know this is normal with any two monitors but still frustrating. I would imagine an Apple display would give a closer match? I'd be curious myself to know which brands seem to come close to Apple's color profile?

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

9. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Mixed reviews on those.

Apple 24" or 27" display in your budget?

10. neile45 macrumors regular

I've read several reviews, and it seems like the Dell 2410 is great, that's what I'm saving up for. It was just on sale for $479, I almost bought it, but I need to wait.

11. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I guess us MBP users are dumb then. :D

Any of the NEC monitors that come with the hardware calibrator. LaCie and Eizo are good, but they are expensive. Most photo LCDs are a mix of IPS and PVA these days.

12. misterneums thread starter macrumors 6502

It's going to be a savings thing--but I can't justify spending much more than over a 1000.

Haha, it's not like that--I simply don't find myself on the MBP forum much, as I don't have one.

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

There is no 24 anymore.

Mixed reviews where? Everything I have read says they are great.

There are a couple of thicker non led panels Wichita are supposed to be outstanding, view sonic for 279 at new egg is supposed to be great.

14. ro050408 macrumors newbie

Get the Dell 27". It is calibrated from the factory AND IS NOT GLOSSY!!!!!

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Op said $1000 was too expensive.

It also has more inputs.

16. misterneums thread starter macrumors 6502

I was saying that regardless I'm going to have to save. But I wouldn't want to go too far over a 1000 (I think the 27inch dell sometimes drops to around a 1000.)

17. neile45 macrumors regular

Yeah, if you look under coupons right now, they have a $200 off coupon of regular price, so right now it's $899

18. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

For your budget I would pick up a 27" Thunderbolt Display....

And you can pick up 24" LED Displays used...in fact you could afford two of them for under $1000. Just depends on your workflow...

For me I prefer one 27"...but may consider picking up a 27" LED Display to go along with my iMac. :D

19. misterneums thread starter macrumors 6502

Decisions decisions....

Alas, here is a time where I am glad that I don't have the money. In the end, I guess it's probably going to be either the Dell Ultrasharp versus the Apple TB Display. Each seems to have their advantages. The Dell seems to be regarded as one of the best quality displays (short of spending 3k+ on other brands). The Apple of course, would give me a pretty quality display (not quite as good), with essentially a docking station. And both of these have the super high res screens.

Of course, on the other hand--I could go down to 24" and look at the 24" Dell or other screens. Asus has one on newegg that seems hit and miss with QC issues--but people seem to like it quite a bit and CNET had a very good review on it as well....

Oh the decisions decisions.... If anyone else has anything on other monitors, or even on these ones--feel free to post!

Thanks to the people above for their opinions and information as well.