External monitor for white 13" macbook (mid-2010)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tedbaker, Feb 19, 2013.

1. tedbaker macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the external monitor field, so any advice would be highly appreciated.

I have the latest white macbook and need to get a bigger external monitor. I've read many articles and threads in this forum about the korean monitors. I'm still unsure if any of these screens would work with my MB. Can you please help me?

I'd like to spend around £300 (including any adapters etc). Could anybody suggest any particular models/ebay-sellers that seem to be more trustable?

Thanks!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

According to the Apple specs page the mid-2010 Macbook has Mini-DisplayPort output, which can be converted to DVI or VGA via adapters. So your best bet is to buy a monitor with DisplayPort compatibility, which can be up to 2560x1600 resolution. If you ensure that the monitor you buy has DisplayPort input, you simply need a cable. A monitor with only DVI would require a MiniDP->DVI or MiniDP->Dual Link DVI (depending on resolution) adapter; the dual-link Apple adapter is $99 so that's money better put toward a monitor with native DP capability.

3. richfromroch macrumors newbie

Not two hours ago, I picked up an H-P 23xi 23-inch IPS panel with HDMI and DVI-D inputs (VGA, too) at Staples for a $169 bucks. As far as I know, this monitor was only just announced in January. But $169 for a 23-inch IPS display is a heck of a deal. Hope it works. It will replace a 21.5-inch Samsung non-IPS on my Mac Mini mid-2011 via HDMI. Sale ends Feb 27 I think. Check out the Staples website.

Rich
    Rochester, NY

4. tedbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

So if I understand correctly the above, at the very end I can use any of the Korean screens with the Dual Link DVI. I just need to get the adapter as well... Am I right?

2 more questions:
    1) Are there any monitors you could suggest with display port input?
    2) What happens with import duties or taxes on items coming from Korea (I live in the UK).

Thanks, T

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If the monitor does not have DisplayPort but does have DVI, you will need an adapter. You only need the more expensive dual-link adapter if the resolution is above 1920x1280 - dual-link is not needed (and doesn't offer any benefit) for that resolution or lower.